200 gallon stocking tips..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Okay so I want to get a 200 gallon in the near future.... I would have a fluval fx5 as a filter....I wanted this tank to have big fish... Therefore I was thinking to have a arawana, 1 pacu, 2 oscars, 1 Jack dempsey, and 2 BP parrots....... Any ideas???????

What type of arowana? Most likely it will outgrow this tank.
What are the dimensions of the tank?

I would change the filtration. At the very least you would need more flow, like a 400gph powerhead in addition to the FX5. Ideally step up to two FX5s or upgrade a small pond filter that has a backflow option. This would pump water out of the tank for water changes will simultaneously cleaning the filter. This will cut your work down by not having to clean the filter.

Pacu is out of the question. They can hit over three feet.

The jack may beat up on the oscars and the parrots.

Those are big fish. I wouldn't choose those personally, but if that's what you like, go for it.

If I had a 200 gallon, I'd get some angelfish, a school of boesemani rainbowfish, a swordtail, some mollies, a gourami or two, and a blue lobster (the smaller peaceful kind). But, I like lots of color, medium sized fish, and a peaceful aquarium.

You seem to want fish that will eat feeder fish. So, that is outside my realm of interest and expertise. I knew someone who had piranhas though. She liked them. She only had piranhas.

I suggest picking you're favorite fish, and building around that. That affects which fish can be kept with it based on compatibility and water conditions.

a blue crayfish.or normal crayfish.if you have cray(s)provide lots of hiding spots.

you could buy some swordtails and have them populate the tank(there livebearers)get 3-4 males and a dozen females

Back
Top Bottom