20g Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, its been a while since I have been here but it seems that everything is going good. I have a 20g tank right now, with all necessary equipment (ie. light, stand, filter, etc.) As of right now, it has nothing in it, and Im thinking about getting it started again. I have another tank set up that is more of a community tank so I can use filter media from it to help cycle.

So, heres kind of my idea. Im thinking I can make it extremely low light planted, so I do not have to upgrade my lighting. Maybe some sort of sand substrate, good idea or bad? I want it to look natural. For stocking I was thinking of getting a way from community, and maybe going something like tiger barbs, maybe do a small school of the green ones and a small school of regular ones. I also really like panda cories, so if i could have a few of those that would be cool. At first I was thinking goldfish, because I think they are really nice as they grow, but im starting to think it is not such a good idea.

Basically those are my ideas somewhat, and I am looking for input. Also, if you guys want to suggest anything let me know. Im open to different ideas. I just think it would be nice to have live plants.

Thanks for the help and information

I wouldn't go with the goldfish, as you could most likely only have one in the tank.

As for the barbs, I am not a big fan as I find them aggressive. Maybe someone else with more positive barb experience can help you there. Mostly I would worry about the poor panda cories. They might take a beating. Then again, you might get lucky and they won't bother them.

Is this a 20 gallon long or regular?

Sand is a fine substrate for a low light planted tank. I would thing no more than 8 tiger barbs in a 20 gallon tank. VP is quite correct they very well may harass the corys to death.

How about cherry barbs, they are colorful and much less aggresive.

Is there any special kind of sand to use? I'm not sure if its long or regular, I will try to check it out this afternoon. Barbs were just an idea for me, anyone can suggest other fish, I kind of want to be able to have quite a few fish, but not to many. Thanks for all the help, I'm going to go take a look at cherry barbs now.

Pool Filter sand is common, although it will show a little algae on it due to its light color. I use Tahitian Black Moon Sand in my 10 gallon. I like the look of the black sand and algae doesnt show.

Pool Filter sand is common, although it will show a little algae on it due to its light color. I use Tahitian Black Moon Sand in my 10 gallon. I like the look of the black sand and algae doesnt show.

ahem back to your stocking question i would go a tetra/danio route

both are small and you school nicely and most tetras (all danios that i've owned and seen) are very active swimming fish.

you could also go with some guppies or mollies and keep a small school that will grow due to them acting like rabbits.

if you get barbs you can't get much else because the barbs are fin nippers and even some subded ones can bug your other fish.

in any case i suggest an oto cat or 3 for your algae problems, they stay small and wont hurt the plants or your fish. I've read they like groups but i've only had 1 live on me (the rest would die in a day or 2, as with most it looked like they were starved when shipped/stored) and hes just fine

Those are really nice barbs. In most of the pictures I've seen they weren't that vibrant. I thought about tetras and smaller fish like them, however, I already have a community tank, with similar fish, and I kind of wanted this one to be different. Could I do some form of chichlid tank? Or some other species type only, with fish from the same families?

Thanks again.

It seems like everyone is trying to steer you towards a peaceful community but your initial post indicated that is not what you want.

If you want the tiger barbs and also want something to stick to the bottom of the tank but is hardy enough that the barbs won't be a problem go with a few loaches. Skunk, yo-yo, zipper, etc. Don't go with anything like a tiger or yellow-fin as they are way too aggressive and would probably kill the barbs (not to mention get too big for the tank).

Algae control? Rubber lip pleco is small enough for the tank and tough enough to deal with the rowdy crowd. I'd go with maybe 1 to 3 loaches (depending on type, some like groups and some will be aggressive towards their own kind as they struggle for territory), a rubber lip pleco, and maybe 3 of each barb (green and standard). This puts you at the upper limits for bioload though as most of these fish are around 3 to 4" at full adult size.

With the loaches: My own anecdoatal findings are that: Yo-yo loaches will always have one "alpha" that is fatter than all other yo-yo's in the tank but significant hiding spots throughout the tank allows them to co-exist most of the time. With multiple skunk loaches they will constantly be swimming around "clicking" at each other when they are not hiding but I've never seen one become obviously dominant (fatter that the others) but they always seem to be chasing eachother around. Observe the loaches carefully before you pick them. Sometimes tiger loaches will look like skunk loaches when stressed (stripes disappear and body becomes pinkish with a faint black stripe down the back). You soon discover the mistake at home when this little fish starts growing and terrorizing nearly everything in the tank.

Atl300zx said:

Atl300zx. Don't refresh the screen. If you hit the back function of your browser and then hit refresh you are reloading the post and re-posting your message (like you did, 3 times).

It seems like everyone is trying to steer you towards a peaceful community but your initial post indicated that is not what you want.

I wasn't trying to do that at all. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just wanted to make the point that the panda cories wouldn't be happy with those evil tiger barbs. 8O LOL

You might try checking out some dwarf cichlids if you are interested in that sort of thing. I have red breasted acaras, but you can also look at shelldwellers. They are really cool.

Is there anything else besides loaches I could use? Im not sure if I am very partial to them. Thanks to everyone for the help, Im just trying to get a bunch of ideas for stocking advice. Thanks

What about some rams, and the some corys and then some smaller fish. This would be different from what I have now. Or could I do Malawian Chiclids, the smaller ones. I just want a lot of ideas and then be able to choose. But I definitely want something different from my bigger community tank.

I just saw some German Blue Rams today, they are very very nice fish. I think I may want to do something with them in my 20 gallon. What are good tank mates for them? I know it could lead to a community tank, but these fish are really really nice.

FWIW I've never seen my tigers even look at the cories...if the tank is planted and has some hiding spots I doubt they'll even see them.

GBRs are gorgeous, but touchy. I had some a few months ago and loved them, but then they both mysteriously died. You definitely could try them, they would love a planted tank and wouldn't bother the cories, but several people have had problems with them. There are a few other smaller cichlid species (Bolivian rams, Apistogrammas) that might fit the bill as well.

Back
Top Bottom