Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

20g Stocking Ideas?

Hi everyone, its been a while since I have been here but it seems that everything is going good. I have a 20g tank right now, with all necessary equipment (ie. light, stand, filter, etc.) As of right now, it has nothing in it, and Im thinking about getting it started again. I have another tank set up that is more of a community tank so I can use filter media from it to help cycle.

So, heres kind of my idea. Im thinking I can make it extremely low light planted, so I do not have to upgrade my lighting. Maybe some sort of sand substrate, good idea or bad? I want it to look natural. For stocking I was thinking of getting a way from community, and maybe going something like tiger barbs, maybe do a small school of the green ones and a small school of regular ones. I also really like panda cories, so if i could have a few of those that would be cool. At first I was thinking goldfish, because I think they are really nice as they grow, but im starting to think it is not such a good idea.

Basically those are my ideas somewhat, and I am looking for input. Also, if you guys want to suggest anything let me know. Im open to different ideas. I just think it would be nice to have live plants.

Thanks for the help and information

Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't go with the goldfish, as you could most likely only have one in the tank.

As for the barbs, I am not a big fan as I find them aggressive. Maybe someone else with more positive barb experience can help you there. Mostly I would worry about the poor panda cories. They might take a beating. Then again, you might get lucky and they won't bother them.

verucaproduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Is this a 20 gallon long or regular?

Sand is a fine substrate for a low light planted tank. I would thing no more than 8 tiger barbs in a 20 gallon tank. VP is quite correct they very well may harass the corys to death.

How about cherry barbs, they are colorful and much less aggresive.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
How about cherry barbs, they are colorful and much less aggresive.
You are speaking my language now. I LOVE my cherry barbs. So gorgeous!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there any special kind of sand to use? I'm not sure if its long or regular, I will try to check it out this afternoon. Barbs were just an idea for me, anyone can suggest other fish, I kind of want to be able to have quite a few fish, but not to many. Thanks for all the help, I'm going to go take a look at cherry barbs now.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Atl300zx
Pool Filter sand is common, although it will show a little algae on it due to its light color. I use Tahitian Black Moon Sand in my 10 gallon. I like the look of the black sand and algae doesnt show.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pool Filter sand is common, although it will show a little algae on it due to its light color. I use Tahitian Black Moon Sand in my 10 gallon. I like the look of the black sand and algae doesnt show.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a quick little video of my tank just to show you how red the cherry barbs can get. They are usually very pale in the store.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...herrybarbs.flv

But again, it is all personal taste. Everybody likes something different so don't be afraid to stick to your guns when making a decision.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 05-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
ahem back to your stocking question i would go a tetra/danio route

both are small and you school nicely and most tetras (all danios that i've owned and seen) are very active swimming fish.

you could also go with some guppies or mollies and keep a small school that will grow due to them acting like rabbits.

if you get barbs you can't get much else because the barbs are fin nippers and even some subded ones can bug your other fish.

in any case i suggest an oto cat or 3 for your algae problems, they stay small and wont hurt the plants or your fish. I've read they like groups but i've only had 1 live on me (the rest would die in a day or 2, as with most it looked like they were starved when shipped/stored) and hes just fine

Tags
20 gallon, 20g stocking, stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com