20g? Too small for goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I understand, the basic stocking rule for gold fish is 2 gal. of water for every inch of fish.

I don't think a 20 gal. is too small unless you're getting something like Kois which are pond fish.

That breaks down at the low end of the scale. Goldfish will easily hit 8+". So in theory one is fine in a 20 gallon using the 2"/gallon rule. But if you accept that logic a 4 foot arowana is fine in a 55 gallon tank as well using the standard 1"/gallon rule (despite being unable to move).

I don't think standard goldfish should be kept outside of a huge tank (and who would spend the money for a huge tank for goldfish), or in a garden pond. Really, they can be better, and prettier, than koi. They just don't have the price tag.

You use the 1" of fish with common sense. 3x 3" fish and 11x 1" fish would be too bad in a 20 gallon (many people will debate that idea I'm sure) but if you have a 20" fish in a 20g, it's NOT COMMON SENSE!

I personally think a goldfish or two would be fine in your 20g.

As for cichlids eating vegetation, my africans completely DESTROYED my water sprite.

I'm not sure a 20g is big enough for African's though. I'd be afraid they would also outgrow the tank or would fight amongst themselves constantly in so small a tank.

hulkamaniac said:
I'm not sure a 20g is big enough for African's though. I'd be afraid they would also outgrow the tank or would fight amongst themselves constantly in so small a tank.

You're afraid of africans outgrowing the 20 gallon? Then if you get some goldies, be very afraid...

hulkamaniac said:

Don't report me to an animal abuse agency but I had 5 africans in a 25 gallon and they were perfectly fine but the tank got a crack in it and the only other tank I had was a 10g and they were fine in there for about a week until I found a new home for them. They got kinda scrappy once in while but they were OK for the most part. What probably helped is that there was no light on the tank.

Yes one Common or comet goldfish for that 20gal would be good. Anything under 3 inchs. Once its bigger he needs to be rehome'd to a 40 or larger imo. I keep goldies and they are the destroyers of plants. If you get a fancy you will just make him suffer as 80% of them suck to much air get it caught in there stomachs and then live upside down for most if not all of there life. Which can be fun to watch : ) i had one i rescued from a fish store. Hes in a friends 90gallon tank but hes still doing great. Wouldn't recommend doing it though : / But the commons do grow insanely fast along with the comets so a bigger tank is just months away. goodluck with your tank.

Back
Top Bottom