20gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichildlife

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 gallon tank nd plan on stoking it with these fish:
2(pair) african butterfly cichlids
5/6 cories
4/5 cardial tetras
Can they all work together? Will the cichlids kill the tetras? Cories?

The cichlids should do great with the cardinals and cories, but I wouldn't keep 1 pair in anything smaller than a 29 gal...2 pair 55 gal.

I would avoid larger cories like albino, emerald, and sterbai to name a few, as they get too large for a 20 gal. Cories that don't exceed 2" adult length would be best.

Cardinal tetras are schooling fish and do best in schools of atleast 6.

Panda Corys are quality :) just bought 2 a few days ago and they have so much personality.

Update:

Stoking:
2(pair) african butterfly cichlids
6 juilis cories
5 cardial tetras

Plants:
Java moss
Swords
Any other sugestions would be helpful thx

Warning with the cichlids and cories: I have kribs (pair) with 5 bronze cories, 3 cardinals and 4 adult swordtails with tons of fry. The kribs now have about 30 fry and the cories don't mind. They just go about their business as if nothing's changed. But the krib mom keeps attacking them because they wander into her bubble. They don't bother the fry but she doesn't care. Just a warning.

The cichlid get between 3"(male) nd 2.5"(female) is that okay can they fit in the 20 gallon with the cardials nd the corries... Also for algea im thinking a bn pleco.? Ok? Overstoking?

I was planning on breeding them. So could i do this?:
2(pair) ABC's
6 juili cories
1 BN pleco

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the cichlids and the cories together in a larger tank, but the 4 cichlids alone in a 20 gallon is seriously overstocking the bottom. I don't see how you could possibly add any more bottom dwellers.

Still, mine are in a 4ft tank and it's an issue. If the male sets up a territory then the cories are in trouble. But the cories can take a lot. They're tough little fish (from my experience)

Back
Top Bottom