20L stocking for the girlfriend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I managed to inspire my girlfriend with my 55g that she wanted a tank herself So today I decided to buy an early Christmas present for my girlfriend and got her a 20 gallon long tank. It is pretty much going to be her only tank, she has a sand substrate and is cycling at the moment with my seeds.

Just out of curiosity, what would be a great stocking for her. She knows she wants an albino bristle nose and other colorful fish with great personality. Any stocking ideas would be welcomed! :)

alot of the little schooling tetras will work, or some rasboras. would she want a centerpiece in there?

An ABN pleco is borderline for a 20G, so you're kinda limited on what fish you can put in there bio-load wise unless you have excellent filtration and good water change schedules. I would put in a school of threadfin rainbows along with the ABN pleco, and perhaps a honey gourami pair as a centerpiece. JMO.

I'm really liking my silver half beak. He's very cute. Stays at the surface, peaceful.

+1 on the threadfins. They are very cute and delicate looking.

Thanks everyone! I will create a powerpoint presentation for her with the fishes mentioned :)

I am guessing my girlfriend would probably want some schools + a centerpiece. In terms of the albino pleco, if it gets too big, I am going to bring it over to my tank.

I am just going to try to collect a list and show her pictures to see which one she would like. She is a bit lazy, so I am probably going to be doing her 25% PWC weekly. (I will carry my gravel cleaner to her house and clean! call me a vacuum ninja). On bad note, her filtration system is not very good.

Also another bad note, I will be taking her to San Francisco in the winter for about 3 weeks, so hopefully her mom will clean the tank.

If you're going to be gone for awhile, why not set it up after your trip? Enjoy your time in San Fran, it's a nice place to visit :)

I wouldn't add a BN pleco if the filtration and water change schedule isn't good. Plecos have huge bioloads that shouldn't be underestimated, water changes and good filtration are a must for big bioloads in small tanks.

Great suggestion, I think I might consider that. I might perhaps buy her a fluval 2 plus, would that handle an albino bristle nose?

Now that raises a question for myself. Could my emperor 400 in my 55g handle the albino bristle?

I'm not familiar with the Fluval tanks other than the Fluval Scape, Edge, and Chi. How many gallons is the Fluval Plus? What's the planned filtration on it?

IMO it should. Bigger tanks will spread out the bioload more evenly and it will build up slower and gradually than in a small tank, and with good tank maintenance it shouldn't be a problemo :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
I'm not familiar with the Fluval tanks other than the Fluval Scape, Edge, and Chi. How many gallons is the Fluval Plus? What's the planned filtration on it?

IMO it should. Bigger tanks will spread out the bioload more evenly and it will build up slower and gradually than in a small tank, and with good tank maintenance it shouldn't be a problemo :)

Its an internal filter. Kind of an old version of the u2

bruinsbro1997 said:

Fluval plus 2 is an internal filter is for 24 gallons and lower. Also I am going to drop some Malaysian Trumpet Snails in her tank, I am not sure about this but I heard they basically eat anything.

Cornstar said:
Fluval plus 2 is an internal filter is for 24 gallons and lower. Also I am going to drop some Malaysian Trumpet Snails in her tank, I am not sure about this but I heard they basically eat anything.

Why don't you just get a new filter like an AquaClear?

Why don't you just get a new filter like an AquaClear?

If I could, I would get her an emperor 400 for her little 20 gallon, but she has the tank on a shelf with about .5 inches on the back, so there are no room for a HOB filter. So we need to resort to a underwater one. :(

Cornstar said:
If I could, I would get her an emperor 400 for her little 20 gallon, but she has the tank on a shelf with about .5 inches on the back, so there are no room for a HOB filter. So we need to resort to a underwater one. :(

Oh. So i'm assuming canister filters aren't an option because you don't want to cut a hole through the shelf. Lol.
There are bigger and better underwater/internal filters out there.... like the Fluval U series

I guess we will consider the fluval u series in the future since we are both students and not very financially stable.

Say if there was no albino bn pleco, what would my other options be?

Cornstar said:
I guess we will consider the fluval u series in the future since we are both students and not very financially stable.

Corys, ottos and more smaller bottom dwellers

Cornstar said:

If you want good bottom feeders you could do 5-6 yo-yo loaches, I love mine they are playful little devils and fun to watch and do a great job of sifting through sand. IMO and experience if you could find a albino bn female you could still get by with the 20 gal. I have a female albino bn and she's never grown over 4 inches from head to tail. The female albino usually stay quite smaller than the male Bn's . just make sure if you do decide to go with the bn you will want to get some driftwood, it's essential for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom