20ppm nitrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right guys. Its been awhile since i tested my nitrate levels of my tap water so decided to go ahead.

And to my supprise ive got a reading of 20-25ppm where before summer it was around 5-10ppm. I live on the edge of a farmers corn field and it leads me to believe this is what has raised them, they will probably drop again during winter. Whats your opinion on this?

Im thinking of downsizing my 20gallon inparticular to 6 harliquin ras and 4 amano shrimp to counteract the increase.

Would an ro filter help remove nitrates or is that for heavy minerals? If it only removes metals then what about a rain catch unit in combination with an ro filter?

The corn field is likely being fertilized with ammonium nitrate. Are you on a well, rural water, or city water? It's not too likely that city water would be affected by his run off, but rural or well could be.

Not long after I started learning how to properly care for my fish I did a bit of experimenting. My (now ex) husband worked at a grain and fertilizer company. One of the products they carried was ammonium nitrate. I was curious if it could be used to cycle a tank. I found a free tank set up (10 gallon compete with filter) and started a fishless cycle using it. It did cycle the tank, but the nitrates were through the roof the whole time. I am not a scientist, I can not say for sure if there would have been any harmful chemicals left in this tank or filter by cycling this way. The tank and filter were disposed of after I finished playing with it.

It should be perfectly fine. Try getting a large white unused garbage can and running a hob filter with a nitrate removing resin in it. It should help with your nitrate problem.

Right guys. Its been awhile since i tested my nitrate levels of my tap water so decided to go ahead.

And to my supprise ive got a reading of 20-25ppm where before summer it was around 5-10ppm. I live on the edge of a farmers corn field and it leads me to believe this is what has raised them, they will probably drop again during winter. Whats your opinion on this?

Im thinking of downsizing my 20gallon inparticular to 6 harliquin ras and 4 amano shrimp to counteract the increase.

Honestly if you can it would be good to use RO water to cut with your tap water to lower nitrates. And see about getting some nitrate loving plants. Water sprite is a good one but most floating plants with long dangling roots are the best at removing nitrates. I have frogbit, water lettuce, and water hyacinth that I use.

Back
Top Bottom