22 Gallon Rimless, stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up a 22 gallon rimless and started fishless cycling two days ago. I'd love some stocking advice for a schooling fish that can handle hardscape only with plenty of swimming space. Additionally, looking for one larger centerpiece as well. Photo and specs are below. Thanks!

Tank: 22 gallon rimless ; 1/4" low iron front and sides; 1/4" regular glass rear, 3/8" regular glass bottom

Built by a shop; only thing that bugs me about it is there is a 1/16" bow difference on the rear glass when measured in comparison to the left side...something strange is that it is a 1/8" difference when measured from the right side in comparison to the middle. To me a bow of 1/16" isn't really an issue but can anyone explain why it would read 1/8" bow on the right and 1/16" on the left when compared to the center? What am I missing here?

Filter: API Filstar XP-S with lily piping

Lighting: Fluval EcoBright 9W LED

Heater: Eheim Jager 75 W

So it seems like the 1/8" I was noticing was the result of an inaccurate cut, but the 1/16" bow in the center is certainly a bow because when the water is out it's not present.

are you doing a planted tank? What kind of fish do you want? just a few or a lot of little fish?

I have a 30g rimless that I am doing as a planted tank and I am going to have a pair of german blue rams or electric blue rams and about 7-8 Cardinal tetras and an L-135 pleco.

Are you planning on any plants? Gorgeous tank either way!

Any thoughts at all about stock?

The slight bowing happens sometimes on tanks. Im not aware of people having problems with it (this problem is rare) but thats not me saying that its fine (although it could be)

Safest bet would be to add a glass center brace.

Not planning on doing any plants. I'm trying to go as minimal as possible with this tank with, obviously, very minimal hardscaping.

What kind of cichlids would you recommend? The only type of cichlids I have experience with are Africans. I also changed the scape around a little...got rid of that substrate; it was reminding me of cat litter and was driving me crazy. I also flipped the wood over to resemble a tree root, and added gravel. I brought my LED down to 25% brightness and I'm really digging the dark look. It's a little darker in the photo than in person.

What kind of cichlids would you recommend? The only type of cichlids I have experience with are Africans. I also changed the scape around a little...got rid of that substrate; it was reminding me of cat litter and was driving me crazy. I also flipped the wood over to resemble a tree root, and added gravel. I brought my LED down to 25% brightness and I'm really digging the dark look. It's a little darker in the photo than in person.

I am really digging the scape, you always seem to have a knack for the minimalist stuff. I'm seeing a small riverine habitat, maybe even native. A dollar sunfish centerpiece with a small school of a small shiner species.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

20G seems small, but it looks huge compared to me 20G..

how about RAMs?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I like gillies idea of a riverish type tank. You buy a power head and get some green Rasboras!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Hi guys. So, after doing some research I went for (7) Columbian Tetras. I think they are beautiful and are the perfect size; the water current in my tank is actually very strong, which they seem to be handling fine. I had to point the outflow towards the back wall and am using a piece of driftwood to act as a current diversion.

I also purchased some incredibly realistic looking plastic plants from Ron Beck Designs. They were $10 and $15, but well worth it in my opinion. I chose yellow and light green because I felt like it was the most natural looking for a shoreline/riverine type habitat. Photo is below -- right after a water change so the water is a little foggy.

Open criticism is greatly encouraged in terms of the scape or fish selection. Thanks!

Wow, it's hard to believe those plants are plastic, the tank looks great:thumbup:

+1

I really like the minimalist approach!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Hey guys. So, the Columbians started to get on my nerves. Some of them seemed to be stressed out all of the time, so I gave 'em away. I got 12 Black Neon's to replace them; I had a whole school of them in my old planted tank and I remember them being extremely peaceful. Indeed they are!

After much messing around with this tank, I decided to cut my Universal Rocks background from my 55 gallon to fit the 22. I also modified my LED light to mimic dim, yellow, natural daylight. With the rocks, background, and Manzanita piece, I really feel like I've achieved the look I've been seeking: a shallow rocky zone of a stream or river. While it seems like Black Neons come from areas with more vegetation, they seem to be thriving and their dark colors and bright red eyes compliment the hardscape perfectly. Additionally, to avoid stagnation behind the background, I have two airstones running so it creates a nice running water noise.

Also switched to an AC-30 HOB as the Filstar XPS was way too strong for my fish.

Hope you enjoy! Sorry for the small photo; it's from my Instagram.

12331838_1030791343639155_2143254504_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom