Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

.25 ppm ammonia

An this kill fish?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Over long turn like a Month

Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

Nope, but if it goes higher it can start to damage them, especially in a high pH tank.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

It wont immediately kill fish but it will stress them. Stress/poor water quality leads to immuno-suppression & the occurence of disease. Fish become unable to fight off common bacteria, viruses, & parasites that naturally occur in their environment. Opportunistic illnesses become much more likely to occur & are more difficult to manage & treat. This can lead to fish death beyond the damage from constant exposure to ammonia.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

Actually at .25 ppm ammonia doesn't even stress fish if the pH level is below 8.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

First, what are you testing with?? If it's the API test kit, then you may actually have 0 ammonia. The test doesn't come out as brilliant a yellow as you see on your color chart. The main thing you are really looking for is a "lack of green", but it can still appear closer to the 0.25 than the 0. The best thing to do is a side-by-side test with your tank water and either RODI or distilled water as a control sample..... something you KNOW has no ammonia in it. If the colors are the same, then you're good.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Actually at .25 ppm ammonia doesn't even stress fish if the pH level is below 8.
His/her ph is an 8.2 (posted same question in another thread) so i would would not want any fish spending a mth or longer in .25 ammonia. That aside, lets see whats going on here. Is your tank cycled? How big is it? What type/how many fish are there? A cycled tank that is properly stocked should have zero ammonia & zero nitrites. Nitrates should be less than 20ppm-regular pwcs will keep nitrates under control. What are your readings for nitrites & nitrates?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trace of Ammonia

Good morning 9...

Even a trace of ammonia or nitrite in your tank should prompt you to do a large water change to get water conditions back into the "safe zone".

Weekly water changes of a minimum of half the tank's volume will guarantee your fish and plants have a stable, clean environment at all times.

Since I change a minimum of half the water in my tanks every week, I've stopped testing the water, because I know there isn't enough time for toxins to build up before the next change. I know the water conditions are always well within the "safe zone".

B

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com