265 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JraGold

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a question about how to construct my stand for this bad boy! I'm planning on just making a base for it to sit on out of 2x6's or something along that line and then adding a walnut moulding for looks afterwards but should I put a pc of plywood on the base for the tank to sit on so it's nice flat and true? Thought about a pc of that pink styrofoam board as well to "cover over any high spots"? Good idea? Bad idea? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would probably use 4x4s for support. Take a look at this video, it shows very detailed great instructions on making a stand.

The tank is just going to be sitting on the base no stand. I'm gonna be building it into a bar so it's only gonna be about 6-8" off the floor.

Ahh I gotcha. I would probably bulk up the supports to something a little heftier than a 2x6 not to mention reinforcing the floor. The tank will probably weight close to 3000 pounds when full.

The floor its going on is cement. Not too worried about that but thanks.

I'm kinda thinking the same about the 2x6 but what could I do? I was thinkin of just basically a 2x6 frame with ply and a sheet of that pink styrofoam board to take up any imperfections in the wood/plywood.

Haha will see what I can do! Lol here it is in its current state!

image-2249376795.jpg

My daughters over 3' tall!

Needs some work but will totally be worth it when I'm done!

Are you going to do a saltwater or freshwater set up? And if the tank is going into the bar aren't you worried about people kicking the glass alot?

Freshwater. And yes I've considered it being hit with whatever. Thought I'd get an acrylic or lexan sheet to "cover" it. It's also 3/4" thick glass so yes I will probably freak out if someone hits it.

That's a pretty epic looking tank! What are you going to do for filtration?

I have 3 large canisters to run it and I'm gonna throw an under gravel filter on there as well I think. Perfecta flow. Have had great success with them in the past! Anyways here's a pic. Got it in the garage last night and peeled the old plastics off it.

image-2330126571.jpg

Opinions please: do I go the rimless euro bracing route? Or do I just put new plastics on it and add cross braces? Believe it or not this tank has never had any bracing on the top of it.

Personally I'd use cross braces just for a little peace of mine, but that's amazing it never had them!

Personally I'd use cross braces just for a little peace of mine, but that's amazing it never had them!

Which adds more support, the cross braces or euro braces? I really don't care as far as cosmetics are concerned.

Which adds more support, the cross braces or euro braces? I really don't care as far as cosmetics are concerned.

Sorry, don't know for sure so can't answer with certainty but hopefully someone will chime in with an answer!

Ok so next question: what provides better support for bracing an aquarium, a couple cross braces? Or euro bracing?

So here it is so far! I've currently resealed it, tried adding acrylic cross braces and that failed due to the fact that there's nothing to bond the acrylic to glass that I could find anyways. I tried aquarium silicone and it held it in place but did not stick to the acrylic even a little bit. But seeing as it never had any braces I decided to fill the tank last night and this is how it sits right now!

image-2216147945.jpg

I'm still going to add glass braces just for peace of mind but I measured the tank before water and after it was full and total the face and back flexed 1/16". So 1/32 a side.

Back
Top Bottom