27 gallon hex tank setup :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks logansmomma!

test results this morning:
ammonia - 0ppm (before dosing)
nitrite - 1ppm (we think, again, hard to tell the difference)
nitrate - ~10ppm... definitely noticing the difference between having live plants and not! the nitrate never really went above 5ppm in the other tank.

tests today:
ammonia - 0 before dosing
nitrite - definite 1.0ppm
nitrate - 5.0 or less?? a little confused about this reading compared to yesterdays. there is a chance i waited more than 5 minutes yesterday to read nitrate, though. not too worried about it, just glad to see nitrIte dropping. :D won't be too long now.

thank you!! we keep going back and forth with how we want to stock it. if anyone has any suggestions we'd love to hear them. so far our thoughts are 1 angel, a school of tetras, and a group of cories.

we are positive on the cories, we are going to get pandas. the others we're just not sure. we like celestial pearl danios but they might end up in the tank we already have.

CPDs will be eaten by an angel for sure. Even if they aren't, my experience with them is that they tend to be easily intimidated by larger fish and should be kept in a really calm tank.

Von rio (flame) tetras would be cool with an angel IMO. We were keeping some with our big black angel for a while. :)

those are rally cool! i think they would look really good in the tank, too. the fish we had picked out before for it were all kind of colorless, so the von rios would add a lot of color. hmmm... i'm likin' that idea!! thanks!

looks like the celestial pearls will be perfect in our 20H....we've got 11 cardinal tetras and will have 3 pitbull plecos... would adding 5 or 6 CPD's make it overstocked??

so i'm not really sure what's goin on with this tank. i kind of neglected it for a few days. i didn't test it at all, just threw in a cap full of ammonia each morning. i tested it this morning and got ~0.5 ppm ammonia, and 1ppm nitrite. i'm going to test it later on today, maybe the fact that i added the ammonia a little later in the day yesterday has something to do with it. i'm not really in a rush to add fish so it's not a huge deal. we still have to get the second filter set up. when we do i think i will add some more filter floss from the 20g which will hopefully solve and cycling issues.

i just noticed as well that the temp in the tank is just about 90. i hope that didn't kill off my bacteria. i just turned the heater down a bit, i think the heat wave might have had something to do with that.

so apparently the cycle is stalled or somethin... nitrites are a bit higher and ammonia is at about .25. not really sure what's happening at this point. over the next two days we will get the second filter in and some more seed material, hopefully that will help. i'm a little worried that something happened (like the temp rising so much) and killed off all the bacteria. like i said, i'm not in a hurry to add fish, but it's not like i wanna start from scratch! i'm going to dose a half capful of ammonia since it's barely .25 right now.

Just keep adding the ammonia until you can get to 4 again, is there a way you can cool the tank down? Like a fan or something?

i turned the heater down, it's good now, about 86. it's because this heat wave. i'm sure when it cools down (tomorrow when it storms hopefully) i will have to turn the heater back up again. i haven't been dosing it up to 4, just about 2ppm daily. i don't want to start adding more than that because it may mess up the cycle even more. i'm going to see what the levels are like tomorrow and add a little more seed material.

stocking list looks like this so far:
12 blue tetras or von rio tetras
6 panda cories
1 angel

what do you think?

Looks good to me, I don't know a lot about angels but other than that the only thing I would say is add mor cories eventually :) If you wanted to

you think i could get away with more cories?? i kept it at six because i was worried that there would not be enough floor space, do to the shape of the tank. i guess i could get six, then see how they do and decide if there's room for more.

My vote is for von rios! :) I love my 10 that I got off of severum and HN1. I hear they have 24 left... thinking about getting another 10 - they are just so pretty!

readings today:

ammonia - somewhere between .25 and .5 ppm before dosing capful
nitrite - about .25 :D
haven't tested nitrate yet

oh yeah i forgot about the shape :p. Yes those von rios they have are gorgeous. I like the cochus too. I was between those and my gwcs for a while. The cochus would go good in that tacky tank.... lmao

i think the cochu's would blend in with all the blue in the tacky tank anyway. i think we are going to go with something that will stand out a bit more....i'm thinking a betta but my husband really wants tetras in that tank....we'll see.

Espei rasboras would look really cool in the tacky tank IMO. I'm not just saying that because we have them right now, lol. The orange on them is brighter than on harlequins and the black area on the body is thinner. They're really cool.

@Meegosh- we actually have von rios out the wazoo right now, lol. We have 24 of the orange variety and we found some fry from some regular variety von rios that we had here for a bit. They're doing really well, growing quickly and we've counted 14! :)

Back
Top Bottom