Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

29 Gallon Am I Still Safe being Little Overstocked

I have a 29 gallon about 2 months old with a eheim canister filter 2215 some plants which grow well and have had reshoots etc...
Fish:
6 red phantom tetra 12
6 neon tetra. 6
1 molly orange. 2
1 molly black marble. 2
4 guppy. 4
4 glo fish star fire. 4
3 glo fish tetra yellow 6
3 glo fish sunburst OJ 3
2 glo fish electric yel 2
1 Variatus Redtail 1

So thats like 42 inches of fish...How many small water changes per week should I be doing? So far fish is healthy with me doing about 3 small changes per week.

I bought glo fish today and two of them died out of 6 released and a guppy two days new also died at the same time today...This happened a hour after I did a canister filter cleaning due to sudden output pressure loss about a hour after new fish being released..

I did clean the filter media in its own filter water mixed with de chlorinated water I have for my water changes.

Anyhow I think it was just weak fish from petco(Maui Petco very Clean)

So should I be fine maintaining this amount of fish in my 29 gallon?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You're pushing it to the limit really, especially with so many glofish. I have limited experience, however in regards to water changes theres no universally correct answers. But personal opinion, I feel like you're overstocked.

The first thing i recommend you do is buy a liquid test kid - API master test kit is probably the most widely used. Test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should be 0 or else your tank isn't cycled, and you should aim to keep your nitrates at a low level - under 20 is generally accepted.

Monitor your levels over the course of a few weeks, performing water changes when nitrates get to 20 or more. Your nitrates will decrease at the same percentage you do your water changes - eg, if your nitrates are 20 and you do a 25% water change they should decrease to 15 (25% reduction). You will soon know how often your water needs to be changed and how well it works for you - such as performing more frequent, small changes, or less frequent larger changes. Typically with an overstocked tank, water changes are necessary to be performed more often.

Also you should forget any "inches of fish to gallons rules" you've heard of, as they are often a very inaccurate means of determining stocking levels. AqAdvisor.com is a good means of determining stocking levels based on your specific tank and fish

Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I feel your overstocked and honestly you need to be doing a 50% WC weekly with such a high bio-load. I do 50% WC's weekly on my tanks in order to ensure I have pristine water conditions. As already stated if your nitrates go over 20ppm even with a weekly 50% WC you might have to do 2 WC's during the week.

Tags
29 gallon, gallon, overstock, overstocked, safe, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com