29 gallon bittom feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I am adding some bottom feeders to my 29 gallon, I was going to add a Bolivian ram, German blue ram, and a Raphael catfish
But I saw a peacock eel at my petsmart, and I thought wow! I could use an eel! I heard they are timid, so would it work with my Raphael catfish( it is a spotted Raphael, so it is smaller than the stripped) and a German blue ram? Also, what would you recommend I feed these bottom feeders, community sinking pellets?

Correct me if i am wrong, but dont peacock eels get up to 16" long???

The eel gets too big. Maybe you could try Amano Shrimp. Other options include small loaches and Cory Catfish. If I were you I would get a pair of one of the Rams also, but you don't have to

Wow really, that sounds cool, they are big enough so the Raphael won't eat them huh?
About how much do they cost?

Well, man I guess no peacock eel, I really liked but on well
I guess I'm going with the two rams thanks

Actually peacock eels get around 8" max..tiretracks and other eels get around a foot or more..but eels arent really "bottom feeders" and usually require live or frozen foods. Loaches or some corys would work..you're pretty limited in a 29..there are different kind of loaches though, but they can be expensive.

I also would like to add..they grow quite slow and can be timid like you said. However, some are very active and hardly even nocturnal. You could get a small one and rehome it once it gets bigger if you needed. They also like soft substrate cuz they burrow in it.

Or we can find a fish that fits well in a 29 and can love a happy life in the tank instead of being discarded once its no longer suitable. Their are lots of loaches that would work. But I would suggest a group of corys

The bottom of my 29 has: sterbal and julli Cory cats, kuhli loaches and ghost shrimp. I also have mts and assassin snails. And pass on the peacock eel. When I set up the tank, I had a peacock eel, he was 6.5 inches long. I bought it due to the 'cool' factor they bring, he seemed cramped in a 29.

Hello, I am adding some bottom feeders to my 29 gallon, I was going to add a Bolivian ram, German blue ram, and a Raphael catfish
But I saw a peacock eel at my petsmart, and I thought wow! I could use an eel! I heard they are timid, so would it work with my Raphael catfish( it is a spotted Raphael, so it is smaller than the stripped) and a German blue ram? Also, what would you recommend I feed these bottom feeders, community sinking pellets?

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=49

I target feed, turkey baster frozen/thawed blood worms and sinking Shrimp pellets.

The Rams will probably eat midwater just fine.

2 Rams may fight. Make sure you have plenty of plants and hiding places for your catfish and your Rams. Have a Plan B in case Rams do fight.

If you don't know already, don't net your Raphael, the spines get stuck.

Striped R Cats will eat small fish at night , I haven't worked with Spotted Rs.

Wow coursair, thanks for all that info!
I did not know about the spines on the catfish, thanks for that! You probably saved my catfish!
Ok, so it says to put one hand under it, and the other on top right?
Oh and I am trying to get a female German blue, but I'm getting them at petsmart, and it can be kinda hard, I know his to sex a German blue ram, but I don't know how to sex a Bolivian ram, can anybody tell me how to do this?
Oh and do you think that if I get a female gbr and a male Bolivian ram it will reduce aggression?
So you would recommend sinking shrimp pellets right?
Thanks for all the info!

Wow coursair, thanks for all that info!
I did not know about the spines on the catfish, thanks for that! You probably saved my catfish!
Ok, so it says to put one hand under it, and the other on top right?
Oh and I am trying to get a female German blue, but I'm getting them at petsmart, and it can be kinda hard, I know his to sex a German blue ram, but I don't know how to sex a Bolivian ram, can anybody tell me how to do this?
Oh and do you think that if I get a female gbr and a male Bolivian ram it will reduce aggression?
So you would recommend sinking shrimp pellets right?
Thanks for all the info!

The only way I know to sex bolivian rams is mature males have trailers on the top and bottom of there tails. If you find a big male, like I have, the trailers are quite long and pretty. Obviously if there is a female he is interested in, the colors will pop! My big guy killed 2 females at different times. Now he's just a batchlor in my 29.

0-o ok, thanks, I think I'll try to find both females, but man it's hard to sex Bolivians!

Your telling me:) both the females I had were soo personable. They'd come straight to the front of the tank to see me.

Oh man, sorry about that:/

But now I feel more into Bolivians :D
I have one question, are GBR really that sensitive?

Back
Top Bottom