29 gallon capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello. I've acquired a 29 gallon tank that is 30X12X18. It is filtered with a Tetra Whisper 30 and an undergravel filter without powerheads. I have already stocked it with 6 Redeye tetras, 4 Black Phantom Tetras, 3 Cory cats, and 1 small rainbow shark. I am planning on adding an Aquaclear 50 (200) to this system. I do 25% waterchanges every week regardless of the water condition. I want to add 7 tiger barbs and 6 Serpae or Rummy-nose tetras. I would also like to throw in 2-3 small clown loaches. I know this generally overloads a 29 gallon tank. However, with the added filtration, and the 25% weekly water changes, I think I can accommodate the fish I desire. Am I wrong? :?

Just from my experince i think you will end up having problems with the Rainbow Shark. i had a Blacktail Shark in my 29gal with similar fish to yours and he endlessly harrased the other fish...he was fine for the first three weeks then he became extremely territoral...i had to evict him

I don't think filtration is your problem, but more so in swimming room. You already have a good amount of middle/upper area swimmers and most of the fish you want to add will also occupy this same space. What about just adding to the schools to have, just a few to each? I think you'll be fine in adding 3 loaches, so long as they aren't the kind that get to be a foot long. However, you will have problems with that rainbow shark when it isn't so small. The shark will start eating anything that can fit in its mouth (all those tetras and possibly cories), and will want to establish a territory and will by being aggressive. Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.

I would have to agree with the others. The shark will out grow your tank in no time and will end up eating everything they can.

I would not add the clown loaches because they can grow up to a foot long or more.

And as for your fish load. Like rubyshoho mentioned, just because you have more then adequate filtration doesn't mean that your fish won't get stressed out from the lack of space. All those tetras share the same swimming space.

What happens if you run into one fish harassing another? There won't be any room for that certain fish to hide. I personally think overstocking a tank is the worst thing you can do.

My advice would be to take the shark back to the fish store and keep the remaining fish but don't add any more. They may be ok....

Thanks. Any answer is what I was looking for. It seems no-one likes the shark.

Thanks. Any answer is what I was looking for. It seems no-one likes the shark.

you are correct

I think I'll send the shark back. My pet store is good about that. It is hard to find that kind of color. How about the clown loaches? They get big too. I think they don't grow as fast though.

Clown Loaches don't grow as fast, but they get pretty big. Over a foot long and sometimes longer.

Zebra loaches are very nice looking and don't get that big. What about a bristlenose pleco?

zebra loach

I think I may hold out for a couple of zebra loaches. I've seen pictures of them and they look really nice. I have not seen them in any of the local pet stores. Thanks again.

by the way I like the sharks too , thats why I bought one , but i found out the hard way they don't fit in a 29gal

yo-yo loaches are cool too, and they only get around 4 inches. If you get a bristol nose pleco, make sure it is the dwarf kind. I think I remember someone saying on here there were two kinds of bristols... big and little :wink:

yo yos

Do yo yos grow slow too? I just can't find these fish locally either. Any experience or advice on buying fish online? Any thoughts on my Black Pahntom Tetra vs. Tiger Barb compatibility question?

The loaches you are interested in are very hard to find and you might need to go through a breeder and/or order online. And I know a lot of online places stop shipping after a certain time because of the cold weather.

Tiger barbs are big fin nippers and can be quite aggressive with other fish. They are better kept in a good size school so they will leave other's alone.

I personally would go wtih the tetra's.

You can always ask your LFS to special order them for you :wink:

I agree with FawnN on the barbs as well. They'll be a little to aggressive for your tank, IMO.

thanks

Thanks for the info. I mainly wanted to know if the Tiger barbs would aggravate the Black Phantom tetras b/c of the longer fins. I already have the Black Phantoms and I like them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom