Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

29 gallon goldfish?

I finally found a good home for the 2 young JD's, so now it's time to find something elso to put in my 29g classroom tank. I'm thinking goldfish...but I know I could only have 2 at the most. My only concern is that the ph here at school is so high. The parameters now are amm-0, trItes 0, and trAtes around 40, and ph-8 a couple of days after an 80% pwc. Could goldies adjust and be happy with those numbers? I don't know why the trAtes are so high either.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should find out what the pH is at the lfs where you would be making your purchase. I'm very lucky in that their numbers mimic my own.

Why are the nitrates so high?

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
You should find out what the pH is at the lfs where you would be making your purchase. I'm very lucky in that their numbers mimic my own.

Why are the nitrates so high?
Beats me. I tested the 75 gallon tank in the library and the nitrates were literally off the chart. The cichlid's in the tank were fine and have been in there for over a year. I've tested it several time since and there's no change. They never do pwc's, they just top it off. (I know, how sad) I do pwc's in my classroom tank, and although they aren't as high as the library, they are still too high. I know my test kit is good because my home tank has a constant ph reading of 7.6.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the tank is never cleaned, I don't think that goldfish are a good candidate for the tank. They are filthy fish. You might want to research smaller fish that have negligible bioloads.

The tank is in your classroom but you're not responsible for the welfare of the fish? Who is?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
If the tank is never cleaned, I don't think that goldfish are a good candidate for the tank. They are filthy fish. You might want to research smaller fish that have negligible bioloads.

The tank is in your classroom but you're not responsible for the welfare of the fish? Who is?
You misread me, I'm not responsible for the 75 gallon cichlid library tank that never gets pwc's, and I certainly do water changes in my 29 gallon that I am responsible for.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My apologies, I definitely misunderstood. I thought we were talking about only one tank here.

But isn't your tank the one with 40 nitrates?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
My apologies, I definitely misunderstood. I thought we were talking about only one tank here.

But isn't your tank the one with 40 nitrates?
No problem, the tank in my classroom is reading 40, the library tank was closer to 160 (trates). I honestly can't figure out why. I only had the 2 2-3 inch JD's in there. Nothing is in there now because I'm not sure what I can get. I've mentioned before that the school is near a water treatment plant, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I need to test the tap water...I should have done that before now. Oh well, I'll test it Monday. Thanks
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
No problem, the tank in my classroom is reading 40, the library tank was closer to 160 (trates). I honestly can't figure out why. I only had the 2 2-3 inch JD's in there. Nothing is in there now because I'm not sure what I can get. I've mentioned before that the school is near a water treatment plant, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I need to test the tap water...I should have done that before now. Oh well, I'll test it Monday. Thanks
I actually work at a wastewater treatment plant. Our runoff goes into a prize winning trout stream. Granted, it can be done wrong, however, if there was a problem with the water out of the plant, you'd know it just by smell alone.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes tapwater has nitrAtes in it to begin with, try testing the tapwater that is being used for your 29 gallon. I don't have any nitrates in the tapwater where I currently live, but the last place we lived the nitrates in the tap were at 20-40 ppm, so I started using PRIME as my water conditioner and it solved the problem. I also had live plants so that helps as well.

I would say to test the tapwater, and if it does have nitrates, use prime as your water conditioner as it removes/detoxifies nitrates.

As for fish for your classroom, 2 goldfish might be kind of boring, depending on the age of your students. Not that goldfish are boring, don't get me wrong, I love goldfish. But the kids in your class might enjoy more variety so I would do a community tank. A couple of small hardy schools , some neat bottom dwellers. I think variety would make it more interesting for the students.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Test the tap water to see what the nitrates are out of the tap. Some water districts may have a higher amount of nitrates. Nitrates are a product of the nitrogen cycle and the usual treatment for them is a partial water change. As noted above goldfish have a reputation for being messy which is why 1 filtration is recommended and many of us do a 50% water change weekly. Goldfish actually do well in hard water. How hard is the wate?

I have, in different tanks, both goldfish and some schooling tropicals. I find the goldfish have more personality and the way they "redecorate" the tanks amusing. Whatever fish works for you will be fine.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

[QUOTE=LyndaB;1572421]If the tank is never cleaned, I don't think that goldfish are a good candidate for the tank. They are filthy fish. You might want to research smaller fish that have negligible bioloads.
QUOTE]

With all due respect, perhaps another word could be used in this description? Goldfish are not "filthy". I am sure you just meant to say that they have a large bioload for their size, as stated in the next sentence, but the word "filthy" has very negative conotations. It makes goldfish sound like aquatic cockroaches.

It is not their fault that they have digestive systems that are not as effecient as some other types of fish. I read in these forums all the time about how "dirty" goldfish are, and I let it go, but "filthy" is just too much for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry you were insulted by the usage of that word. To me, filthy is the same as dirty when describing bioload.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sorry you were insulted by the usage of that word. To me, filthy is the same as dirty when describing bioload.
I think people should not get so easily insulted by simple words on a forum . My kids get filthy when they play outside, its not derogatory , it is fact! Lol.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole

I think people should not get so easily insulted by simple words on a forum . My kids get filthy when they play outside, its not derogatory , it is fact! Lol.
Uh-oh! Someone needs some orbit gum!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwohlge1 View Post
Uh-oh! Someone needs some orbit gum!
Clean it up! Lol :p
Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Ok, I did an 80% pwc yesterday in my classroom tank (which is still fishless), and my parameters are: ammonia-0, trites-o trates-10, and ph at a whopping 8.4! I tested the tap, and it read 7.6. What could possibly be the deal here? I really want to introduce some fish, but I'm concerned about the ph.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
Ok, I did an 80% pwc yesterday in my classroom tank (which is still fishless), and my parameters are: ammonia-0, trites-o trates-10, and ph at a whopping 8.4! I tested the tap, and it read 7.6. What could possibly be the deal here? I really want to introduce some fish, but I'm concerned about the ph.
Try to find fish that like high ph. Maybe some of the decor is raising the ph?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

everything is fake, so I don't know how that could affect it. I'm guess I'm going for African cichlids. How many can I have in a 29?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Actually it is low Ph that is dangerous for goldfish. They prefer7.5 but can do reasonably well higher. Putting some driftwood in-which alas slowly rots--will also lower the Ph a bit.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow labs and blue Johanni can get up to 5". I think most other get bigger so that is probably your limit. I don't know a LOT about cichlids though, when I had them in my 55 I had yellow labs, blue johanni, electric blue, and acei. However I think the electric blue and acei get closer to 6". So for your tank I think you could do a max of 4 cichlids, and stick to the yellow labs and johanni and you should be ok with that.

Tags
29 gallon, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com