29 gallon goldfish tank with Marineland 200 GPH fitler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yogosans14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know I'm supposed to have 290 GPH but does it really matter, when it comes to ammonia and nitrite levels?

With goldfish yes. For one, you're goldfish will outgrow this tank rather quickly, but as long as they're in it you need great filtration. I wouldn't consider 500 gph excess. How many goldfish are we talking?

You dont need more. Anywhere from 2x to 10x the tank volume per hour is recommended.

As far as bio load the filter you have will be fine. However, 29g is too small for common goldfish, and definitely too small for multiple common goldfish.

I don't think 200 gph will be sufficient. I would like at least 1/3 more at 300 gph for keeping these filthy guys...

The number of times that I've seen a filter unable to handle the biological filtration of a tank on this forum number exactly 0. Bio filtration is far more efficient than we give it credit for.

If a filter can handle 4ppm of ammonia in a single day then that's more than fish in an appropriately sized tank will ever be able to produce in a single day.

Common goldfish?i have 2 fancys, that will be getting a 55 gallon tank in a couple of months. They are only 2-3 inch. I only own goldfish and I am very aware of there needs.

I know I'm supposed to have 290 GPH but does it really matter, when it comes to ammonia and nitrite levels?

To answer your questions yes ammonia and nitrite matter. Ammonia poisoning can burn the fish and sometimes even if the situation is corrected right away the fish does not recover.

About filtration, there are two Goldie tanks in my house. If you get the 55g I would get either a second larger filter or a cannister. They grow fairly quickly and if you slack off on water changes you could easily end up with ammonia problems. If you like Marineland consider adding the 400 model hob to the 55g or even go with the 360 model cannister and keep the hob filter as well. You really can't have too much filtration in my opinion especially when it comes to goldfish of any sort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom