29 gallon mudskipper/brackish build/rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im setting up brackish tank again after being out of the hobby for a while. My last tank over heated and boiled my fish. :( i am updating the tank with new sand and fixing things i was not happy with last time. I would also like to thank jody for making my tank on February 19, 1996.
My friend gave me his filter cartridge and some substrate so i could jump start my cycle. the water has been in there for a week with the filter, 3 mollies and some snails(will transfer these guys to another tank to breed and become f8 puffer food). The water has remained crystal clear so i know those BBs are working hard.
37704-albums9736-picture39456.png

37704-albums9736-picture39455.png

Attachments

• photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 134
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 138
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 141
More pictures

As you can see i made a ramp this time so i can use less substrate up top. I siliconed the substrate to the ramp. I also made some caves in the columns holding up the ramp. I no longer have columns holding up the platform but instead siliconed some strips of tile to rest the platform on.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 130
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 124
Cool. I'm following along.

Im really excited to get a tank up and running again. I loved my brackish tank because the mudskipper and f8 had so much personality.
My stocking list:

6-8 BBGs
2 Indian dwarf mudskippers
1-2 Freshwater flounder
1 F8 puffer

Heres my dumb question of the day... What's a bbg?

Heres my dumb question of the day... What's a bbg?

Not a dumb question. it stands for bumblebee goby. They are fun to watch and i love watching them hunt bbs (baby brine shrimp)

The sand is in. I didnt take a picture but i put in the filter and a few mollies. I have a used filter and some substrate from a friends tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404517475.976914.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404517497.224193.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tank is too small for a violet goby but i am going to upgrade my brackish later and possibly get a couple archers

Brackish fish have so much personality.

Update:
I bought 6 bumblebee gobies and a figure 8 puffer. I really wasnt thinking how hard it would be to see everything with the black sand. I am going to try and get more white rocks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405964556.775617.jpg

The puffer chases the bumblebees but hangs out with the molly

Here are a few pictures of the new puffer. He has yet to be named

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405964539.646219.jpg

Following! Love the tank, very natural looking.

Thank you. I kind of rushed it with the pvc. I couldnt wait and its going only be for a year or so. I originally had a colosseum roman theme then spongebob but i decided to go for a more minimal/somewhat natural look. I have a white coral decoration that i got on clearance at petco. and some zebra rock.

I wish more people were interested in brackish water fish. they are not expensive but if you want fish like archers, scats, monos or a violet goby then you need a bigger tank.

I would love to have a mudskipper tank someday

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Some more pictures. Mudskippers come tomorrow. The tank can be viewed from either side and when I find a desk it will be right up against the tank so i can watch it on days I work from home. I cut plexiglass for the opening in the top so the mudskippers don't jump out and I'll be able to look at them from above. If anyone has any suggestions for the tank I would love to hear. I need more hiding places for the BBGs. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405994975.695723.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405994992.620616.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405995004.128497.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I love the black/white contrast...very cool looking.

I see what you mean with the black sand and hard to see the fish, but I bet they feel secure blending in.

Do you know how to tell the goby male and female apart? When I bought mine 2 were pretty orange, now they all look the same color. I have 5 of them.

Do you know how to tell the goby male and female apart? When I bought mine 2 were pretty orange, now they all look the same color. I have 5 of them.

The mudskipper should be here today.

I know that the females are bigger than the males and when it comes time to mating i think the males start swimming around like normal fish and their black stripes almost completely fade away. I do hope that one day i will get a chance to breed these little guys and from what ive read it isnt incredibly hard but can take some patience.

EDIT: As of 12 o clock the mudskippers have arrived. Cant wait to get home and see them!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom