Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

29 gallon nano fish tank - could use stocking advice

Hi all! My 29 gallon has gone through several iterations in the last two years as I've learned more about the hobby. I'm finally happy with the direction my tank is headed, and I'm trying to finalize my stocking plan to work towards. All the fish I really love that are appropriate for my tank are nano fish. It's a low tech planted tank, and I'd like to increase the density of the planting with time.

Here's my current stock:
6 Cory harbrosus
4 Cory pygmaeus
4 (baby) mystery snails - 2 of these are going to friends when they get a bit larger
2 Negritos snails
2 African algae grazing gobies
5 threadfin rainbowfish

Over Christmas my poor rainbows got some kind of disease, I treated with a erythromycin antibiotic and I thought they'd all pull through but two of my males never recovered all the way and I lost the second one just this week. : ( Feeling a bit discouraged, even though I know how the issue came up so I'm trying to work on my plan for the long term. I'm waiting at least a few weeksto add fish to make sure the other 4 females and remaining male stay healthy. Everyone else in the he tank is doing great!

So I'd really like to up my school of rainbows to a good amount, maybe 8 or 9? Not sure what a good number would be for my size tank. But I'd like a decent school. I'm going to try adding a few cherry shrimp to the tank this week to see how they'll do.

Here's some species I'm interested in:

Australe killifish
Gardneri killifish
Endlers livebearers
Pseudomugli gertrudae
Sparkling gourami (not sure my tank is set up for them)

I'm open to suggestions, but no tetras. I had neons for a while and they bored the heck out of me. I've had zebra danios before as well and didn't want them long term either. Also, our water is in the moderate hardness so all the nano tetras need treated water and I don't really want to take on that expense.

I love the idea of killifish, but I don't know how they'd do in a community tank and all the information I can find online is about breeding setups. The australe at least seems to be fairly longlived from what I've read.

Thanks all!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

All I can offer you is my experience with gardneri killi's, mean, def not a community fish, first night in my community 29 they de-tailed my apisto's, next night the zebra danios were missing tails.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Check out the clown killifish if you like nano sized killifish.

I am also pretty fond of dwarf pencilfish.

A few schools of nano fish along with 1 or 2 small apistos as centerpiece and some dwarf cories or loaches would make a nice 29g nano community tank.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are a few suggestions:

celestial pearl danios
emerald danios
chili rasboras
clown killies
scarlet badis
peacock gudgeon

The emerald danios in particular do well in slightly harder water but all of those species will adapt fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
All I can offer you is my experience with gardneri killi's, mean, def not a community fish, first night in my community 29 they de-tailed my apisto's, next night the zebra danios were missing tails.
Yikes!! Sounds like gardneris are right out then. I have seen the clown ones, but I love the brighter colored ones. Are the australe killis suitable in a community? Anyone kept them before? They do occasionally come through my LFS too.

I saw some Endlers in the store when I went to go pick up a Nerite snail for my nano today, they're pretty awesome looking in person!

Thanks for the suggestion about the Apistos, but I've been told (by my LFS) that our water is too hard for all but the basic varieties. I haven't seen too many pencilfish, what are they like?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post
Here are a few suggestions:

celestial pearl danios
emerald danios
chili rasboras
clown killies
scarlet badis
peacock gudgeon

The emerald danios in particular do well in slightly harder water but all of those species will adapt fine.

Thanks for the suggestions, azmo!

I have seen emerald danios from time to time at the LFS, and I like the look of the chili rasoboras. Maybe I should take another look at the clown killies, they keep coming up on recommendations....

Would some Endlers plus another of the species be too much?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXaggie View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, azmo! I have seen emerald danios from time to time at the LFS, and I like the look of the chili rasoboras. Maybe I should take another look at the clown killies, they keep coming up on recommendations.... Would some Endlers plus another of the species be too much?
Nah you could do some endlers and a nice group of, say, emerald rasboras (or emerald danios, as some people call them -- I've heard both) or clown killies. Just know that if you get male and female endlers you will undoubtedly end up with fry. One thing to know about the clown killies is that they're top dwellers (much like the many dwarf blue eyed rainbow species') so they'll spend most of their time hovering near the surface waiting for insects to land on the water. They're known to be jumpers but I've never had that experience with one yet, although my surface is covered in dwarf water lettuce and frogbit, which they also greatly appreciate. The emerald rasboras and CPDs will likely spend most of their time among any plants/decor you have as they are quite timid, but the more you have the less timid they will be. The clown killies on the other hand are not timid at all, as any time I am near their tank they follow me around waiting to be fed. For that reason they are actually one of my favorite fish to take photos of, although it's sometimes not easily to get them to sit still. I currently have a group of clown killies in a heavily planted 10 gallon along with some emerald rasboras, a scarlet badis, shrimp, 2 otos, and a baby apistogramma cacatuoides and everyone gets along very well. Keep in mind that while the clown killies are not as colorful as some of their other cousins they are still quite stunning when fully grown and quite an unusual looking fish at that. When their colorful tails are fully grown they are a magnificent looking fish. Google some pics/vids of them!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Assuming you stock the australes at 1m to 2f they are good tank mates for almost any fish. They can become slightly aggressive when there is only one in the tank. Mine never caused as much destruction as the gardneris that were mentioned earlier but on the rare occasion I would see him nip at one of my male guppies or try to breed with the female guppies.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my CPDs
I would up your stock on the Cories.
At least 6 or more of each if you can. The tiny Cories thrive in large groups plus the habrosus are more bottom dwellers while pygmaeus and hastatus are more mid level swimmers and love leaves to perch on.

I really enjoy my Threadfins. Lovely fish.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would just go 10 Cory hasborsus. Bigger the school the better. They really are a lovely fish and so active.
Mine spend time all over the tank.
They look awesome when they all line up together like parked cars.

Tags
29 gallon, advice, fish, gallon, nano, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com