29 gallon planted stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
A pair of swordtails
2 male guppies
6 longfinned gold zebra danios
1 albino bristlenosed pleco
1 endlers livebearer
5-6 celestial danios
12+ cherry shrimp
A few micro crabs

Complete with driftwood, plants, mosses.

I've posted about stocking lists before for this tank. I think I can make this stock work. I of course do roughly 30% water changes weekly and vacuum as needed. Substrate is Flourite capped with play sand so it's a pretty easy tank to clean. Just give your thoughts please!

I would take out the swordtails, since they get very large when full-grown and would take up the majority of your space. Also, i would take out the cherry shrimp since almost every fish you want will eat the shrimp.

Let me put it like this: I already have the tank, it's planting is in progress and the current inhabitants are:
2 platies
I male guppy
1 endlers
12+ cherry shrimp
Misc. tiny snails

Thus far I have had absolutely no problems with fish bothering the shrimp.

I'm getting rid of the platies, LFS bound.

So adding a pair of swordtails (high finned blood red), another guppy (black Moscow), 6 celestials, a bristlenose, and micro crabs was fine in my mind I just wanted other's opinions.

Do you think I could add 5 endlers as well? All male?

A pair of swordtails
2 male guppies
1 albino bristlenosed pleco
1 endlers livebearer Usually endlers do better in groups. They are very social fish and may get bored. They are closely related to guppies, though, so it may be worth a try.
5-6 celestial danios
12+ cherry shrimp baby shrimp will be eaten by the guppies, danios and swordtails-if you just want to keep adults, that is fine
A few micro crabs

Complete with driftwood, plants, mosses.

I've posted about stocking lists before for this tank. I think I can make this stock work. I of course do roughly 30% water changes weekly and vacuum as needed. Substrate is Flourite capped with play sand so it's a pretty easy tank to clean. Just give your thoughts please!
My comments in red

What kind of filtration do you have? What is your water change schedule? This information will help us give you better advice on what to stock or change.

As stated before, swordtails get quite large and would take up too much space, so I would pass on them. MAYBE you could get one, but that would be it. In addition to that, I would add a school of 6 CPDs, and maybe 1-2 more endlers. If you add that, I would say you are fully stocked.

As stated before, swordtails get quite large and would take up too much space, so I would pass on them. MAYBE you could get one, but that would be it. In addition to that, I would add a school of 6 CPDs, and maybe 1-2 more endlers. If you add that, I would say you are fully stocked.

Sword tails get about 4 inches long. In a 30" long tank, a pair will be perfectly fine with other fish. I agree though, that seems like a fairly large bioload.

Sword tails get about 4 inches long. In a 30" long tank, a pair will be perfectly fine with other fish. I agree though, that seems like a fairly large bioload.

Yes, a pair can be with other fish in a 29, but not as many as the OP wants to add, so I am suggesting that we maybe try something else.

Yes, a pair can be with other fish in a 29, but not as many as the OP wants to add, so I am suggesting that we maybe try something else.
Yes, but the OP only has these fish right now:

2 platies (going to LFS)
1 male guppy
1 endlers
12+ cherry shrimp
Misc. tiny snails

What I was saying is that they could easily keep them with their current stock, but no more than that.

Well everyone the swordtails are my #1 priority. Filteration is only a TopFin 30. 30% water changes weekly and gravel vacuum as needed. It is a large bioload, but I don't see how it isn't manageable.

And the reason why it's a pair is because I'm ordering from liveaquaria and that's the only way they come (high finned blood red)

Also I do not plan on keeping the platies. Everything else besides them is included in the stock.

And the reason why it's a pair is because I'm ordering from liveaquaria and that's the only way they come (high finned blood red)
You should be fine, but if you start to have issues with lack of filtration (due to the bioload), you may want to consider a sponge filter. They're the cheapest option of filtration. Another option would be to re-home some fish.

One more thing, there are tons of places for baby shrimp to hide so even though I might lose a few I still believe reproduction will be rather rapid.

How effective is sponge filteration? Will it make a big difference? Paired with the top fin 30 that is.

How effective is sponge filteration? Will it make a big difference? Paired with the top fin 30 that is.

It will make a difference-people use them as the only source of filtration in tanks, but then they have to clean more often. If I were you, I'd wait and see if you will need more biological filtration. You may find that the filter you have provides enough.

I have been told before that you should double the filter size based on your tank. So since I have a 29 gallon, I should have a filter rated for roughly 60 gallons. I don't want the bioload to get too overwhelming too fast because none of the fish I have listed are really cheap and I don't wanna lose them. I mean the pair of swordtails alone is gonna run me $100 after shipping. Would a sponge filter save me this grief?

Back
Top Bottom