Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshObsessed View Post
One more thing..instead of getting another school of a type of Tetra maybe you should just get a larger school of Zebras: 8+. That might reduce any possible chance of nippiness.
thanks again - that is a great idea. At the very least I can hold off on the second tetra school until I see how the 6 zebras are in the tank and then go from there.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

None of the fish you have have long find so there most likely won't be any nipping anyway.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post
None of the fish you have have long find so there most likely won't be any nipping anyway.
Long fins aren't the only kind of fins that get nipped...Platies, Neons, Rams..none have long fins and then have gotten nipped in my tank,
Old 06-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes but it's rarer that they get nipped and when they do get nipped it heals within 2 days if your water is clean.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Food for thought, the glofish are actually tattooed to be this bright neon colors, this could potentially take time off the life of the fish due to the stress endured in the process. IMO I wouldn't buy them I would just go with the regular danios if that's the route you wanna go. There are so many naturally brightly colored fish out there I just don't see the necessity to tattoo a fish.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the responses everyone - I will keep an eye on the nippiness, worst case it will give me an excuse to set up another tank muhahahaha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaseMrNiceguy View Post
Food for thought, the glofish are actually tattooed to be this bright neon colors, this could potentially take time off the life of the fish due to the stress endured in the process. IMO I wouldn't buy them I would just go with the regular danios if that's the route you wanna go. There are so many naturally brightly colored fish out there I just don't see the necessity to tattoo a fish.
Someone correct me if I am wrong - but I think they are genetically modified not tattooed. new fish born currently have the glow gene....
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmom
thanks for the responses everyone - I will keep an eye on the nippiness, worst case it will give me an excuse to set up another tank muhahahaha....

Someone correct me if I am wrong - but I think they are genetically modified not tattooed. new fish born currently have the glow gene....
The research I've done on glofish says that they're just genetically modified. They are supposed to be just as healthy and have the same lifespan as the rest of the species. Of course, I'm no expert so if anyone knows differently...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaseMrNiceguy View Post

Actually, no, glofish are not tattooed. They are genetically altered. At one point, the eggs of your standard zebra danio were injected with a portion of jellyfish DNA that causes them to fluoresce when put under a blue or black light. They are supposed to breed true to their color.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks everyone - I don't want to support the tattooing of fish for sure....

fin nipping/tattooing aside, does everything else look ok? Too many fish?

Can I do one platy instead of 3 or do they prefer friends?

Tags
29 gallon, gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com