29 Gallon Stocking Scheme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
I posted this in the other folder but then it was pointed out that it would probably go better in here so I figured I would just make a new topic, I hope that is okay.

Currently I am fishless cycling my 29 gallon tank. Therefore, no fish for awhile but I would like to think about what to get so that when the time comes I can get some fish instead of spending another three months attempting to decide on what to get.

Tank Parameters:
pH: 8.4
Tank: silk plants with driftwood and an air bubbler (so no cichlids, not that they would fit anyway)
Filter: Aqua Clear 50

The requirements for the tank are:
1). Nice school(s) of fish (we have decided against a center piece fish)
2). Preferabley active (I have a betta tank and although he is a lovely fish he really doesn't do much, I would love to have a tank where the fish actually play)
3). Colorful (I know that isn't too likely in a freshwater tank, but basically not all black and white fish)
4). Fish no more then $6 each
5). No angelfish (I saw some adults yesterday and my goodness, supposidly they can go in a 29 gallon but eh if I was them I would want a bigger tank)
6). No fish that looks like an eel/snake

One stocking scheme I have come up with is:
- 6 cory cats (probably false julii corys but maybe Agassiz corys depending on the stock at the LFS)
- 6 lemon tetras OR 8 flame tetras
- 8 cardinal tetras
- 6 rummynose tetras

Now what worries me with the above is that I know I have a high pH and I have no interest in R/O water and really would rather work with what I have (since it is perfectly stable). That being said can I actually keep rummynose tetras and cardinal tetras in a tank like this? I know fish can adjust as long as they are properly acclimated but is this just too much to ask of them? From researching them the past two days it seems that they are both quite sensitive, however, at the same time the information is all over the place (one person said you must have pH of 6.0 while another claimed his were doing just fine in a pH of 8.0)...

Also I know I most certainly want cory cats but if you all think the tetras might not be the best of ideas/won't be successful what are some of my other options/what do you recommend?

I also really like barbs, particuarly tiger barbs but I can't seem to find anything that can go in a tank with them and fit in a 29 gallon...

Thank you in advance for the help!

A dwarf gourami is a thought but wouldn't that overstock the tank? I am also concerned that since they are a bit like bettas he would not like all the surface aggitation from my bubbler. :-/

Do you think the pH is going to be okay with that stock though? That is my biggest concern. I don't want to kill the fish due to the pH being to high or the water being to hard compared to their natural environment...

Thank you for the ideas.

From what I understand about Cardinals, they are mainly sensitive to parameter that change often. So if you can slowly drip acclimate them to the higher ph, they should be fine. High ph usually goes hand & hand with high kh which provides you a buffer from wild swings.

Other possibilities might include:
Green Fire Tetras
Aphyocharax rathbuni - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Cherry Barbs (hearty & peaceful in groups of 6+)
Puntius titteya - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

and Rasboras. Harlequin Rasbora is what you mostly see in the local pet stores. But Wet Spot has some other varieties & colors. They're a peaceful fish for the community tank too:

Fish

Other alternatives to the tetras could be:
Dwarf Neon, Celebes, or Blue Eyed Rainbows - Both are active, colorful, and enjoy the higher ph.
Guppies, platies, or endlers - Livebearers all love harder water/higher ph, and are very colorful, active, and although not strict schoolers, they do usually stick together. Stick to all males if you don't want fry though.
X-ray or Blind Cave Tetras

High ph loving/tolerant alternatives to the cory cats (since I believe they like acidic water as well) would be:
Kribensis Cichlid - They're a dwarf species, are very colorful, and very personable. It's very common to see people keeping a breeding pair in a 29 gallon tank.
Shrimp
Dwarf Crayfish - There's some pretty bright orange ones that are super interactive and fun

Thank you both for your help.

I have never seen a Green Fire Tetra but they are pretty and most certainly a consideration. I think I want to still attempt the cardinals but if they don't work out cherry barbs would make a nice back up plan.

Now slow acclimating. What would you say is the best way to do this? I live around an hour away from the best local fish store in my area so these fish are going to have a pretty long car ride from the store to my house. What I was thinking is putting their bag inside an insulated bag and zipping the top shut so everything remains dark for them. Then once I get them home put them and their water in a bucket then hook up a drip line from my tank to the bucket. Will this work? If so how long should I drip acclimate them? Also since the bucket won't be in the tank (hence won't have a heater) will the fish be alright or will they get to cold while being acclimated?

Or is there a better way to acclimate sensitive species?

EDIT: Thank you for the suggestions. I love livebearers (platys in particular) but have decided to stay away from them since after going to 6 of the best fish stores in the area and all of them had sick livebearers I think my odds of getting a healthy fish around here are next to none. I like Kribs but the tank really isn't set up for them with all the plants and the fact that I have driftwood but no actual caves. I will have to look at the Dwarf rainbows, that is definitly an idea if the stores around here carry them.

Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) is actually a West African riverine species... they prefer water much like South American fish do, although they are quite adaptable (more so than something like the German blue ram).

Dripping them is fine. A one hour car ride is less stressful for them than you probably think (I say this having shipped fish all over the country, lol). I'd drip them for an hour or so if you think there is a big change in water parameters between your lfs's water and your home tap water. Out of the fish you've mentioned, I'd have to say the rummynose are (in my experience, anyway) the most sensitive, and least adaptable to water parameters outside their preferred range.

Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) is actually a West African riverine species... they prefer water much like South American fish do, although they are quite adaptable (more so than something like the German blue ram).

Yep, hence why I said they were high ph tolerant :) I believe most sites list them as being fine in a range from 6.0-8.0 ph, compared to most of the SA cichlids being listed completely in the 7.0 and under range.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I have been thinking a lot about it and I think I am going to skip the rummynose tetras and go for something a bit more hardy. I still like them but I think they are best left for someone with either a lower pH or the means to lower their pH. :)

That being said my LFS just posted a list of the new fish they got in and one of the ones that caught my eye was the Celestial Pearl Danio. I have never actually heard of them before but it seems they like hard water and higher pH. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they really 1 inch full grown? I am kind of worried if I got them that my other fish might eat them.

I am also going to look at the other suggestions on what I might be able to substitute in place of the rummynoses.

Celestial Pearl Danios are very shy and don't do well with any fish that are super boisterous and active. They'll tend to get out-competed for food. Gorgeous little fish though :)

Celestial Pearl Danios are very shy and don't do well with any fish that are super boisterous and active. They'll tend to get out-competed for food. Gorgeous little fish though :)

This has been my experience, exactly. These tend to do better in a small species tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I was wondering about that since they are so small. I will just get something else then and consider a species only tank for sometime in the future. :)

Back
Top Bottom