29 gallon tank with a goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellymay21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tank with one goldfish in it. I know these are very dirty fish. Could I put anything else in there or should that be a one fish tank?

ellymay21 said:
I have a 29 gallon tank with one goldfish in it. I know these are very dirty fish. Could I put anything else in there or should that be a one fish tank?

Depends. What is your filtration?

I think you have room for a school of white cloud minnows, but that's it. Perhaps you could do a small pleco as a bottom feeder, but I'm not sure how that would work out.

I guess it depends in what type of goldfish it is. If it is a comet or common that's about it although one could put in a frog or some snails too.

If they are fancies (oranda, moor, etc) then one might just have enough room for 2. (20 gallons for the first and 10 or 9 in this case for the second.)

Much will depend on how good your filter is, and how well you keep up on water changes. Is this a fancy goldfish? Or a comet? A comet needs more swimming room, and will get bigger faster. Is this a new tank?

I guess it depends in what type of goldfish it is. If it is a comet or common that's about it although one could put in a frog or some snails too.

If they are fancies (oranda, moor, etc) then one might just have enough room for 2. (20 gallons for the first and 10 or 9 in this case for the second.)
I agree that it depends on the goldy type. 2 fancies would maybe be ok, but your filter would have to be awesome.

I have been advised against really putting anything with goldies because they tend to eat small tankmates like whitecloud minnows. I was told it would work for awhile, but then the smaller fish would probably get slurped up. I have not tried it, so I cannot say for sure, but my research suggests its better to just keep goldies by themselves or with goldies for the most part.

I would be very wary of a pleco with a goldfish. Plecos produce plenty of waste all by themselves, and also are prone to sucking on goldfish if they get the chance. Maybe a bristle nose, if the OP feels he/she MUST have a bottom feeder. But personally I would rather have a second goldfish than a bottom feeder.

Again, my ideas are just ideas. I don't have experience with minnows an goldfish, but my pleco and goldies don't seem to bother each other. JME.

I also agree we should know what type of goldfish this is.

My word of advice is... Get rid of the gold fish!!! It doesn't look as good as many other fish you "could" have and poos loads means alot of cleaning! Maybe a bigger tank in the near future too :)

I took this fish for a friend thinking that they were going to take it back. Turns out I'm keeping it. I'm not a big goldfish fan cause I would rather have a bunch or smaller fish than one goldfish. It's a fan tailed goldfish, I think that what they are called. I've got a 75 gallon filter on it. The last pleco I had didn't work well with this goldfish, that's why the goldfish is in its own tank. I appreciate all the feedback.

Try local schools or care homes that have a fish tank or pond. Or post it on Facebook or a local site for selling in your area.

Also, some local newspapers will give free add space for freebies. I have seen fish and stuff for free in the paper. I know not all newspapers do this, but mine does. Just a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom