29 gallons & accidents.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend gave me a 20 g for Christmas and I saw this as a opportunity to trade it in for the Top Fin 29 gallon started kit since I already have a 20 g. My concern is that is a semi big fish tank and I am scare that it will break and I live on the second floor so It will damage my department and the department on the bottom.
Anyone have any stories to share and is it a good idea to have such tank in a second floor department?
I am really indecisive so please help me decide!
-Bri

It will be fine. Also, they are called "Apartments", not departments. Any time you get a bigger tank, it can seem a bit overwhelming and its common to picture it breaking or leaking. I actually just did the SAME thing with my 29 and I am on the 3rd floor. People have horror stories, but honestly most leaks or accidents start from it either being crashed into or hit with something, or a small crack by seam that results in a drip. They dont usually just explode like the internet will have you fear. Congrats on the new tank.

IMO a 29g is still a small tank. I have a 10, 14, and 55 on the 3rd floor with no issues. Also putting together a 40. Just make sure you've got an insurance policy that specifically covers water damage from a tank break.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

It will be fine. Also, they are called "Apartments", not departments. Any time you get a bigger tank, it can seem a bit overwhelming and its common to picture it breaking or leaking. I actually just did the SAME thing with my 29 and I am on the 3rd floor. People have horror stories, but honestly most leaks or accidents start from it either being crashed into or hit with something, or a small crack by seam that results in a drip. They dont usually just explode like the internet will have you fear. Congrats on the new tank.

Sorry been awake since 2 am had a really early shift and I wanted to post this ASAP because I kinda want to get the new tank today.

IMO a 29g is still a small tank. I have a 10, 14, and 55 on the 3rd floor with no issues. Also putting together a 40. Just make sure you've got an insurance policy that specifically covers water damage from a tank break.

Insurance policy from the apartments? Or where??

Hahahaha. +1.

You'll be fine, a 29 gallon when filled will only be 300-350 lbs. That isn't a lot of weight on a floor.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha Awwweee now everyone is making fun of me >.< I work in a department at work so yeah :/ my bad. My concern is if it breaks

Insurance agent. Where you have your renters insurance.

They don't provide any insurance :/ they don't want us having any kind of pets but they didn't say anything about fish.
Was going for a 55 g but that would make a mess if it does break in the future.

They don't provide any insurance :/ they don't want us having any kind of pets but they didn't say anything about fish.
Was going for a 55 g but that would make a mess if it does break in the future.

Insurance agents provide insurance. That's their job. You have to seek renters insurance on your own. Call whomever you use for car insurance for starters. They may give a cheaper deal as an umbrella policy.

As for however manages the apartment, whether it's a private party (landlord) or a management company, their not required (normally) to provide insurance. They make the rules and since no pets are allowed, a tank may get you evicted as they "could" be considered pets.

My friend gave me a 20 g for Christmas and I saw this as a opportunity to trade it in for the Top Fin 29 gallon started kit since I already have a 20 g. My concern is that is a semi big fish tank and I am scare that it will break and I live on the second floor so It will damage my department and the department on the bottom.
Anyone have any stories to share and is it a good idea to have such tank in a second floor department?
I am really indecisive so please help me decide!
-Bri

What if someone replied that his or her tank broke, would it make you quit the hobby? A twenty gallon will make as much of a mess as a twenty nine.
I understand your concern, water can only travel down but fish tanks don't just break on their own, well, maybe one out of a thousand will suffer a small leak or so . If you have the proper base/stand for it and it sits leveled, I personally don't see a problem unless the tank is old and has sat for a long time dry.
If it still bothers you that much, maybe you'd be better off with a few smaller tanks? That can also be fun.

What if someone replied that his or her tank broke, would it make you quit the hobby? A twenty gallon will make as much of a mess as a twenty nine.
I understand your concern, water can only travel down but fish tanks don't just break on their own, well, maybe one out of a thousand will suffer a small leak or so . If you have the proper base/stand for it and it sits leveled, I personally don't see a problem unless the tank is old and has sat for a long time dry.
If it still bothers you that much, maybe you'd be better off with a few smaller tanks? That can also be fun.

I wouldn't quit! I love my 20 g tank :) well maybe I have to re think my decision on adding a new tank

Back
Top Bottom