29 Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iMax

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking about doing

6-7 White mountain minnows
4 kuhli loaches
2-3 oto's
6 tetra (type TBD)

then Either a m/f pair of Gourami or GBRs

Does it work?

I think it works except for the minnows. They are a cold water fish. If I were you, I'd consider doing a group of tetras instead like neons/cardinals or rummynose tetras. You said you wanted a school of tetras, so maybe two contrasting schools would be cool.

Also definitely the more the merrier with khuli loaches. They'll be more active in a larger group, which means you'll see them more.

I wouldn't add anymore khuli loaches . The male to female ratio is the same with livebearers . 1m 2-4 f . I would do german blue rams.and for tetras do cardinal. Instead of doing minnows for the top why not a few hatchets for the top

I disagree. Khulis are way happier in a bigger group, and they have small bioloads.

Yes but I'm thinking of the space. They may have small bio load but that many will take up a fair bit of the bottom.I'm sure 4-5 khuli loaches is plenty

A 29 gal has plenty of space for 6-7 khulis IMO. I wasn't saying add ten more, but the fish would be so much happier to be in a larger group. Some people keep that many in 20 gals.

You would be able to see 5 loaches though, I'm sure they're confident enough with that many

It depends. Either way, that's more than the original stock plan.

Also if there are going to be a lot of bottom feeders, a pair of rams may not be the best idea. They spend a lot of their time near the bottom of the tank and can become quite aggressive when breeding.

I've had rams before and they don't get that aggressive . I'm currently breeding DG and the reason I didn't suggest them is that you need 1m 2f, not a pair .

I've never had a breeding pair before however I've read numerous threads here of rams being very aggressive. I'm not saying every pair will be but it's just something to keep in mind when choosing stock, is all. DG's of course can be aggressive also, they are in the betta family. It all depends on the specific fish you get.

This could work. Otos are sensitive fish so make sure the tank is well established.

The minnows are said to be able to adapt to all water temps and flourish

Back
Top Bottom