29g Build Thread - Early Onset MTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, after having set up (and now successfully cycled) my son's 5g Eclipse, I want a larger tank. A few weeks ago I scored a 29g with Aquaclear filter, fluorescent hood and some cartridges for the Aquaclear for $75 off of craigslist. I have a couple bags of faux plants from an earlier craigslist purchase. I've already picked up a 50lb bag of pool filter sand from a local supplier.

So while I'm contemplating the theme and designing/building the stand, I'm pondering my stocking options:
[SIZE=-1]
6 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
6 x Glo Fish (Danio rerio)
10 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
2 x Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda)[/SIZE]

The earlier craigslist purchase was a pair of 10g tanks, so I'm mulling over a sump setup as opposed to the HOB Aquaclear. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Peace!
Ben2k

I don't really see the need for a sump until you're over 75g. I've got an AC70 on my 29g and it does an excellent job. If you want to build a sump for the experience, there's nothing wrong with it. It's just a lot of complication compared to your other options.

Get at least 20 RCS. That'll give you a decent breeding colony.

The sump idea is a future project. Eventually, I just want to see if I could do it. Since I have an Aquaclear 50, I'll use it. I'm a believer in the KISS method.

20 RCS! :invasion:

I'm hoping RCS aren't prolific breeders!

Also, I've read that RCS do better with live plants. I hadn't really planned on doing that, but I'd be interested if there are any low-maintenance, low-light plants that would benefit them. I just don't want to get into a situation where I have to go for co2 injection (see reference to KISS method, above).

My 3 year-old really likes kissing gourami, and from what I've read, 29g is waaay too small (and may not be compatible with my current stocking choices). Can someone confirm or deny?

Am I taking on too many different species with what I've listed above? I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew...

Plants aren't as hard as people make them out to be. Buy some anarcharis and put it in your tank. I think it'd do fine no matter what. Now if you want to have a heavily planted tank then you need to get more involved.

Live plants provide more food for the shrimp. My shrimp like java moss the best. Java moss is pretty hard to kill. Keep it damp and give it a little light and it'll keep growing.

Your research on the gourami is correct. Kissing gouramis get much to large for a 29g.

Look at my "My Tanks" link. I have ten species of fish in my 29g. The catfish are a little big for my tank, but they'll be moved to a larger tank in the next six months hopefully.

Finally had the time over the weekend to get the tank set up. Everything I used came from craigslist (except for the thermometer, pfs and some new suction cups for the heater).

P7115737.jpg

29g tank
200w heater
AQ 50 filter
Two shopping bags full of plastic plants and decorations (all the plants are pictured, some of the decorations weren't to my liking).

All together I spent about $85-90 bucks on craigslist for this setup.

Please feel free to comment on my aquascaping... I'm not entirely sure it will stay this way. Once I have the 'scaping to my liking, I'll start the fishless cycle.

The cycle has begun. I finally found some pure ammonia... No easy task. I dosed it to about 4ppm and turned the heater up to 82f. I also added some media from the 5g eclipse. I'll be interested to see how long it takes to cycle.

The decor also changed a bit...
P7255804.jpg

In the mean time I'd like some stocking suggestions. The cherry barbs from the 5 g will probably get transferred. And I am looking for fish whose colors will really pop. I really like dwarf gourami...

I think cories will fit in nicely, as in just about every setup aside from aggressive tanks. Dojo loaches rank #1 for personality fme, and cories in a close second.

Thank you for your replies everyone!

I do really like cardinal tetras... I'm pretty confident I'll get a school of those. From the reading I've done, cherry barbs are fairly calm compared to their other barb counterparts... before I move them I will likely add 3 more (1m/2f) and then move all six into this new tank. Someone please yell if this is a bad idea.

I also like conchu's blue tetras... I may get some of those from HN1 after the tank community is well established. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f44/check-out-the-new-fish-room-127592-14.html#post1105844

My only concern about cories is whether they need a good algae source, or if they are content with algae tabs, blanched veggies...etc. My boys think the albino cories are cool, though.

Am I completely off base thinking I could put some DG in this tank?

In other cycling news, I initially dosed the tank to 4-5ppm ammonia on Sunday. I checked yesterday and ammonia had dropped to a little more than 2. I added some more ammonia. When I came down this morning the tank was crystal clear. It had been ever so slightly cloudy since I set it up well over two weeks ago. I thought the cloudiness was just the glass. Any ideas what's up?

Please keep the stocking suggestions coming!

For the barbs, I think you are good. I would try and keep as big a F:M ratio though. I think 1 male would be better with more females, but I could be wrong.

As far as I know cories are more bottom feeders, and will eat left overs before algae. They like shrimp pellets too :)

IDK about the cloudy water either because that has never happened to me. I know cloudy water usually means bacterial bloom, so it is possible that you had that

barbs when you do a good ratio ...1 male for every 2 females. thats what i have in my tank. 2 male and 4 female albino cherry barbs. when i first got them i had 2 males and one female...when you dont have enough females the males "fight" more

Well the tank has only been cycling for 8 days and my readings today were ammonia 2-3 / nitrIte 2-5 / nitrAte 20-40 (the higher readings are hard to distinguish on the API kit). I'm guessing the process is nearing completion.

Back to my stocking considerations:

SOMEONE PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF A GREEN SPOTTED PUFFER! I don't have anything against them... I'd love to have one (repeat ONE with nothing else) in my 29 but my concern is that I'd be taking on too much too early in my fishkeeping career (not the least of which is feeding and managing the brackish water migration) Any opinions?

Soooo... I really want to have some type of centerpiece breed in this tank but I have (over the last several days) overwhelmed myself with options...:confused:

I will not try to talk you out of it... instead I will tell you what it's like :D

For a GSP and managing salinity, you need to:

Get a hygrometer to measure specific gravity (the amount of salt in the water)
Find out how the fish store is keeping the GSP
Get your tank the same way :)
Acclimate GSP to your tank
Slowly raise Specific Gravity to GSP's desired levels (over the course of a month or so)

In addition, you must
Pre-mix your salt/water ratio for water changes
Keep up on the water changes
Resist temptation to put other fishies with him :D

If you think you can do those things CONSISTENTLY for a GSP... then you are good to go. If you think you may slack or not do those things consistently... then I've talked you out of it ;)

Thanks taylorodw and Aquarium1 for the replies. Honestly, I think the only part of owning a GSP that I'm specifically concerned about is the feeding. Tank maintenance and the specifics to acclimate the GSP from fresh to brackish I can commit to and it seems straightforward... making sure it got enough snails to keep its teeth in check worries me. From what I've read a separate snail tank almost seems to be a necessity.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (or there is an easier way).

Thanks for the link... but for some reason it won't come up here at work... I'll try tonite at home.

As I keep researching options, I'm now thinking about a dwarf puffer tank.

...too many options...

Back
Top Bottom