Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, its been a couple of days since I have done serious work to the tank. The sand in finally completely settled. Today I did a 25% water change and cleaned out the filter from all the sand that was in it.

I also ordered my light I went with the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight 1x65w. I am planning on getting the plants either tomorrow or the next day and setting them up than strapping on the light as soon as it comes in.

I am also working on a DIY CO2 system. For my 29g tank I should be using 2 2L bottles correct? Also its the smaller bottle as a gas separator completely necessary, what are the added benefits of this? Im not sure what I will be doing for a diffusor yet.

Also for the stocking I had mentioned this before but never got a reply. Would it be possible to put a single angel fish in the tank because my mom really likes them, and as she is the one who takes care of my tanks when I'm away it would be nice to give her a fish to be excited about in there.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Picture of the DIY CO2 system. Two bottles connected with a t-valve. From here I can easily attach a gas separator bottle and check valve to the tank.

Picture of the tank after today's cleaning and change all cleared up.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Plants!!

Went and got some plants for the tank today. Got the following plants:

Amazon Sword
Crypt Wendtii
Java fern
Corkscrew Val

Still gonna add some more plants later on need some lower plants for the front - mid region thinking e tunellus and maybe some dwarf hairgrass for in front of the rocks.

My light should be here before weeks end, and I finished the DIY CO2 system and sealed all the caps with silicone today. I will set it up tomorrow.

I also purchased a Coralife digital timer strip with 2 day and 2 night outlets. I will run my lights during the day and at night when they turn off my air stone will turn on the help off gas the excess CO2 that the plants are not using.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

it look really nice Ilike the moon sand.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I really like the moon sand as well.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's really coming along nicely Chris. A single angel would be a great centerpiece fish for your 29; in fact, I used to have an adult angel in my old 29 and it was a great community tank. Just be sure to choose tank mates that are too large for the angel to eat- this rules out neon tetras and other fish of similar size. Remember to consider the adult size of your angel when you're planning your stock list.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
That's really coming along nicely Chris. A single angel would be a great centerpiece fish for your 29; in fact, I used to have an adult angel in my old 29 and it was a great community tank. Just be sure to choose tank mates that are too large for the angel to eat- this rules out neon tetras and other fish of similar size. Remember to consider the adult size of your angel when you're planning your stock list.
Thanks. There are already 6 neon tetras in the tank. I just added them tonight. Been testing the water daily and the tests are showing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites continually with nitrates rising. So I have slowly been adding livestock. 2 snails first. Then 3 shirmp. and today the 6 tetras. Tomorrow I will add my gourami and that will be it for the next 6 weeks while I am away at school until I get back.

If I add a small angel now when he is not able to eat the tetras do you think that by the time he is large enough he will peacefully get along with them?

Stocking plan for the tank is as follows:
2 apple snails
10 ghost shrimp
6 neon tetras
school of 6 larger tetras
3 albino cory cats
1 angel

Would this be too much of a bio load for my tank?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

An update for today. I was in need of a lower foreground plant so I picked up some cardinal plant (not a true aquatic, but I read that it will do fine during its infancy) I split them and planted them along the open moon sand. I am planning on eventually swapping them out for some E. Tenellis and Dwarf Hair Grass.

I also connected one bottle on the DIY CO2, currently I have seen bubbles coming out in the bubble counter at one every 20 seconds or so, but it has not built up enough pressure to escape into the tank yet as I have them on the floor and they have a lot of hose to run through. Well see how that does tomorrow.

And now for an updated pic of the tank with the cardinal plant:
Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good Chris!

I've not heard that about the cardinal plant. I kept it for some time successfully before I let the tank go, so I'm not really sure how to advise on that one. As a matter of opinion, I'd love to see a black background on that tank- it would really make your plants pop I think.

Your neons may eventually become expensive snacks for your angel. Then again, I've heard of folks who successfully add them with a small angel and don't have any problems. My experience with angels is that they are quite the individual- what works for some may not work for others. Believe it or not, we have angels that are plant eaters. Go figure.

Other than the possible disappearing neons, your stock list looks great to me. Consider adding cuttlebone or dosing calcium for the continued health of your apple snails (I've never kept them more than a few months and I now believe this is why). Your ghost shrimp may also become snacks, but at least they are cheap, LOL. It's worth a shot if you grow them all out together. Keep us updated!
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
As a matter of opinion, I'd love to see a black background on that tank- it would really make your plants pop I think.
I agree completely, my mom and girlfriend are not fans on background so whenever I bring it up they immediately attempt to shoot it down. Eventually however there will be a black background on the tank. Even if its as simple as taping some poster board back there.

Quote:
Other than the possible disappearing neons, your stock list looks great to me. Consider adding cuttlebone or dosing calcium for the continued health of your apple snails (I've never kept them more than a few months and I now believe this is why). Your ghost shrimp may also become snacks, but at least they are cheap, LOL. It's worth a shot if you grow them all out together. Keep us updated!
I dose some Kent Marine Liquid Calcium for the snails now and have had one for close to 6 months now and they other for a few months as well and they seem to be very happy. I think I am going to try and stock with the small angel and let them all grow out together and see what happens.

Tags
29 gallon, conversion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com