29g Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice additions. Watch for fin nipping from the serpaes (red minors). Rubber lips are cool fish and won't outgrow your tank.

Stocking-wise, I think you'd be really pushing it with 5 zebra loaches. Unfortunately, zebra loaches will decimate any RCS population IME... you might want to think about that before you spend the money. ;) They would also harrass your apple snails and probably kill them eventually.

I was gonna say what SM said about the loaches. :) They'll eat your shrimp and try to eat the apple snails, so you should choose one or the other.

I suggest getting a drop checker to monitor co2 and make sure you get a 4dkh (4 KH) solution to put in it. It is a better measure of co2 than using your pH and kH as you can see, its not that accurate. :) You can find them on ebay for a pretty good price.

Also if you are still planning on an Angel, I wouldn't with the Red Minor tetras (aka Serpaes). They are nippy tetras.

Be careful with the Rhinox diffuser, if you haven't used it yet. Sometimes DIY co2 doesn't have enough pressure for those and pressure can build up in the bottles.

Great plant growth....got any recent pics?

Great thread :)
I was about to add a caution on the red minor tetras, but everyone else did already. If you get an Angel they will rip its fins apart. I got a group on impulse one time and within an hour after putting them in my tank all my fish had ripped up fins! Even my big 4.5" Bolivian Rams! I took them back the same day. They are as fin nippy as Tiger Barbs and one of the most aggressive Tetras.

I had 2 Angels and a small group of Neon's at the same time. One Angel was as big as my palm and just ignored them. The Neon's were timid tho. I didn't realize that until after I sold my Angels and they now swim all over the tank. I suggest getting maybe 3 Guppies, 1 male and 2 females. The females will give birth every 30 days and the Angel will LOVE you for the live food! So will your other fish. Mine had so much fun stalking those little fry down and catching them! It was the best thing to watch hahaha.:lol: Plus Guppies like to nibble at algae all day. Not enough to really help tho.

Another good Tetra for a tank with Angels is the Rummy Nose. Its a very pretty one, with a red face, silver body and a checkerboard tail. They get about 2" so really too big for an Angel snack. Another one is the Cardinal Tetra. They are almost the same as the Neon's, but they have more red and get bigger at 2". Personally I think they are a prettier tetra than the neons because they have more red. Both of these are very peaceful and will not bother other fish.

A good algae eater for a live planted tank is the Otto Ctas. They stay small at 2" and eat algae off the plants without causing any damage at all. I have 2 and they do a great job for me (as best an algae eater can do).

If your mom loves Angels that much, ask her why she would want it to blend in with no background?;) You add a plain dark background and the fish will just pop in there! To me, a tank without a background looks so washed out.

Here is a little trick I do to keep the build-up of air pockets to a minimum in my planted tank. I use a chop stick and rake the sand every water change. Its enough to release any trapped air (getting rid of the problem) but not so much that is disturbs the plant roots. Using my hand just disturbed the roots too much, so I got a wooden chopstick and now use that.

The tank looks really nice and I am green over your Amazon baby plant! Mine is as tall as my tank and no baby coming out ever! :puppydogeyes:

One final suggestion, these are all just my humble opinions by the way. If you get an Angel, get yourself some plant that you can hang at the top. I have Hornwort. It can either be planted or floated. I tied a piece of fishing line around mine to make a clump and to keep it in one corner instead of floating everywhere. It will grow down so the Angel will have a hide out at the top to hang around in. Plus, if you get Guppies and they have fry, that is where they will go. I have African Dwarf Frogs and they will lay down up top in it when feeling lazy and my big Apple snail will sit in it too. Also, that kind of plant (the leafy kind) is a favorite for tetras to spawn in.

Good luck! :wave:

a little spot dosing of flourish excel should cut down on that.

I almost forgot about this! Be very careful in doing this! Excel is carbon in a bottle and may do more harm than good. I used it once before I started CO2 and had 3 plants melt on me! That was only after I used 3 small doses, not even the amount the bottle said to use! I now give my plants a small bleach bath if they get too much algae on them. You use 1/2 part bleach to 10 parts water. Just enough to smell it. Soak the bigger plants (heavy leaves like the swords) for about 2-3 minutes, your smaller for about 1-2 minutes. Rinse them off real good then soak them another 10-20 minutes in water with 4 times the amount of Prime dechlorinator. This will make most of the algae just rinse off. As long as you rinse and soak real well it will be fine. I have never had any damage to my plants from doing this. For plastic decorations, I use 1 part bleach instead of 1/2 part. Same soaking process. The Prime strips away any bleach that may be still on them after a good rinsing under the tap.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize the red minors were so fin nippy. Guess I will have to keep a close eye on them.

The plan for the loaches was to control the pond snail population in the tank...would they really go after the golf ball sized apple snails?

I originally was going to go with a school of albino cory cats then had switched to loaches. The snail population has been more under control though with less food being fed so maybe I will switch back to the albino corys.

I will decide what to do about the angel cause my mom loves them and spent her entire time at the pet store today looking at them. I am planning on adding more plants to the tank so would this help with the fin nipping at all by giving hiding places and breaking lines of sight?

As far as the tank and equiptment goes, I am planning on eventually getting a drop checker. and will keep an eye on the diffusor I havent had any issues to date but I switch out my CO2 bottles today for the first time since using it so I will watch it.

I am also adding the backround either tomorrow or the day after and will take some updated pics of the tank when I do, ill be able to see the new growth then since seeing the tank daily now doesnt make it too noticeable.

And as promised here are some pics of the new fish:

img_1004471_0_a33f9a87560965a592c3c139ae7bcbf6.jpg

img_1004471_1_12aa41d7358176ceb22aae7015a4b53e.jpg

img_1004471_2_4027d6dc11375b1146372d6692345f55.jpg

Great thread :)
I was about to add a caution on the red minor tetras, but everyone else did already. If you get an Angel they will rip its fins apart. I got a group on impulse one time and within an hour after putting them in my tank all my fish had ripped up fins! Even my big 4.5" Bolivian Rams! I took them back the same day. They are as fin nippy as Tiger Barbs and one of the most aggressive Tetras.

I had 2 Angels and a small group of Neon's at the same time. One Angel was as big as my palm and just ignored them. The Neon's were timid tho. I didn't realize that until after I sold my Angels and they now swim all over the tank. I suggest getting maybe 3 Guppies, 1 male and 2 females. The females will give birth every 30 days and the Angel will LOVE you for the live food! So will your other fish. Mine had so much fun stalking those little fry down and catching them! It was the best thing to watch hahaha.:lol: Plus Guppies like to nibble at algae all day. Not enough to really help tho.

Another good Tetra for a tank with Angels is the Rummy Nose. Its a very pretty one, with a red face, silver body and a checkerboard tail. They get about 2" so really too big for an Angel snack. Another one is the Cardinal Tetra. They are almost the same as the Neon's, but they have more red and get bigger at 2". Personally I think they are a prettier tetra than the neons because they have more red. Both of these are very peaceful and will not bother other fish.

A good algae eater for a live planted tank is the Otto Ctas. They stay small at 2" and eat algae off the plants without causing any damage at all. I have 2 and they do a great job for me (as best an algae eater can do).

If your mom loves Angels that much, ask her why she would want it to blend in with no background?;) You add a plain dark background and the fish will just pop in there! To me, a tank without a background looks so washed out.

Here is a little trick I do to keep the build-up of air pockets to a minimum in my planted tank. I use a chop stick and rake the sand every water change. Its enough to release any trapped air (getting rid of the problem) but not so much that is disturbs the plant roots. Using my hand just disturbed the roots too much, so I got a wooden chopstick and now use that.

The tank looks really nice and I am green over your Amazon baby plant! Mine is as tall as my tank and no baby coming out ever! :puppydogeyes:

One final suggestion, these are all just my humble opinions by the way. If you get an Angel, get yourself some plant that you can hang at the top. I have Hornwort. It can either be planted or floated. I tied a piece of fishing line around mine to make a clump and to keep it in one corner instead of floating everywhere. It will grow down so the Angel will have a hide out at the top to hang around in. Plus, if you get Guppies and they have fry, that is where they will go. I have African Dwarf Frogs and they will lay down up top in it when feeling lazy and my big Apple snail will sit in it too. Also, that kind of plant (the leafy kind) is a favorite for tetras to spawn in.

Good luck! :wave:

I almost forgot about this! Be very careful in doing this! Excel is carbon in a bottle and may do more harm than good. I used it once before I started CO2 and had 3 plants melt on me! That was only after I used 3 small doses, not even the amount the bottle said to use! I now give my plants a small bleach bath if they get too much algae on them. You use 1/2 part bleach to 10 parts water. Just enough to smell it. Soak the bigger plants (heavy leaves like the swords) for about 2-3 minutes, your smaller for about 1-2 minutes. Rinse them off real good then soak them another 10-20 minutes in water with 4 times the amount of Prime dechlorinator. This will make most of the algae just rinse off. As long as you rinse and soak real well it will be fine. I have never had any damage to my plants from doing this. For plastic decorations, I use 1 part bleach instead of 1/2 part. Same soaking process. The Prime strips away any bleach that may be still on them after a good rinsing under the tap.
Can we see pictures of your tank it sound very nice?

Can we see pictures of your tank it sound very nice?

Sure :D This is my planted 30 gallon. I have a mated pair of Bolivian Rams, Neon Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Zebra Danios, Cory's, 2 African Dwarf frogs and a couple Guppy's. The Guppy's go in my 10 gallon when its empty of fry. I raise the Bolivian Ram fry for my lfs. My other tank is a 55 gallon African Mbuna tank. :)

This is the link to my album of my planted tank on this site.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/23852-albums625.html
The Amazon sword plants now reach the top of the tank and the plants on the right do too. The bunched up plant at the top right corner is the Hornwort I have floating for the fish to hang out in. :)

img_1004761_0_85359e912578ccdd38b5637e6f93ed23.jpg

I am planning on adding more plants to the tank so would this help with the fin nipping at all by giving hiding places and breaking lines of sight?

Nope, those Red Minors are very nippy fish. They will go after anything that has medium to long fins. I think they would pick on Cory's, loaches and Danio's, etc. That is just the way they are. I always read posts from people who have some and they just will not leave the other fish alone. :( Even if there are hiding places, you really don't want all your other fish hiding all day from them, right? They are like Tigar Barbs, you can really only have a large group of them and maybe some other aggressive fish too.

I see what you mean, they have kinda started to pick on the neon that is in the qt with them. I might have to take these back and get some other types.

I really like the rummy nose tetras or the red eye tetras. What other peaceful fish could I put in the tank, my mom seems like love the live bearers.

Here are some updated pics of the tank as promised with the black background:

FTS
img_1004859_0_701baa41b0d8958f28d718d8989d9f64.jpg

Left
img_1004859_1_a4c9d8809c60ee230f91a16de31c0cb5.jpg

Middle
img_1004859_2_44063ac12d515eaab58ca094cabdcc3e.jpg

Right
img_1004859_3_a42d82c21c72746922ecb59a1d081fbd.jpg

IMO i think some cardinal tetras along with the neon tetras. But as for another kind of tetra i think some Black emperor tetras. Bleeding heart tetras look similar to red minor seprae tetras so you might want those.

Looks better with the background :)

For live bearers I prefer Guppies. To me they are just much prettier than platys or Mollies. They stay smaller too and the males can have beautiful tails.

Looks better with the background :)

For live bearers I prefer Guppies. To me they are just much prettier than platys or Mollies. They stay smaller too and the males can have beautiful tails.

I like swordtails and I'm gettin som wen I get my 55. Their minimum tank size Is 20 gal so u could put som n urs.

Ok so I think I have decided to go a different route as far as stocking goes.

Currently in the 29 I have:
5 Neon Tetras
2 Apple Snails
4 Ghost Shrimp

Future I want to add:
1 more neon to make it 6 (in qt)
Albino Cory Cats (3-5)
Guppies
Danios
Angelfish
RCS
Rubber Lip Pleco (in qt)

How many Corys, Danios, and Guppies would I be able to get and not be overstocked?

I am debating getting an aquaclear powerhead to use with my DIY CO2. I would just plug the CO2 into where the airline goes on the powerhead. Would a 20 or 30 model be better I dont want to create too much flow for the fish or plants.

Well I switched the plan again and decided to go with a livebearer idea. I ended up getting 3 guppies, 3 platys, and 3 mollys. This will add some color to the tank they are now in qt and I will try and post some pics later.

I figured out that the DIY CO2 was not beign released form my Rhinox, I purchased a ceramic airstone and have it running under the filter intake and the CO2 is now beign released into the tank. I think I may purchase that powerhead to release CO2 into the tank.

Also how long should the fish remain in qt before I can move them to the display tank?

Back
Top Bottom