Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

29g FW Lighting Questions

I have a 29g FW community tank that is planted (medium).

Just got a 30" Aquaticlife Dual-lamp T5 HO light fixture that is the 10,000K and 420/460nm Actinic setup. Will this work for my Freshwater setup? or should I have used different bulbs? I like the 10,000K bulb with my tank because it is able to light the whole bottom of the tank for the short plants.

But, is there a possibility of lights being TOO bright for fish? I tried searching but only found cases of too little light.

Also, each of those two bulbs are 24watt... I don't need CO2 right?
I use API's Leaf Zone to add some iron for the plants once a week as the directions told me.

Any guidance is much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd wait for a more informed person to answer also but...

IMO, if you like the way they look they will be fine. I have the same bulbs on my 37g and it looks great and my plants are doing wonderful. When the bulbs have reached the end of their lifespan I will change them out for a 6700k bulb but I see no need to spend the funds on new bulbs right now. And I really like the way the actinic bulb brings out the colors in my tank without adding too much 'usable light'.

As for CO2... You will probably need something if just to keep algae in check but wait for a more informed person to answer.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.
I think I should be ok.

If anyone else has advice, I'm totally open!

Tags
29 gallon, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com