29g hardscape...commentary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. Setting up a new tank, 29 gallon. It will be planted. I'm doing something a bit different for this one than I usually do and not going for a natural look. Or rather, aiming for a "reclaimed by nature" type look, I suppose you could say? I still want it to look balanced (and hide the filter and heater *lol*), so--comments? Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20150218_211250043_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150218_211250043_HDR.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20150218_212500219.jpg
    IMG_20150218_212500219.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20150218_212510360.jpg
    IMG_20150218_212510360.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 106
Java moss would be great for a "reclaimed by nature" look. Maybe also a school of some kind of small silver fish. It looks great so far!

Java moss is definitely in the plans! Lots of that and Java fern, some anubias, and one my favorites, elodea. Also, a couple sword plants, some crypts for the front. I have some wisteria in another tank that's taking off, some hygraphilia compacta that's not, and I'm thinking of trying to cultivate some of the pennywort for a floating plant. Either that, or give that job to the elodea and plant some moneywort. I have a lot of plants to choose from already (all my tanks need thinned out except for the goldfish tank--they thin it out for me), and I'm hitting up my store this weekend for the 30% off sale.

The planned stock list so far is:
a pair of apistos--one of the reasons for the driftwood "cave" (that, and I like driftwood. Don't judge... *lol*)
a school of hatchetfish (been wanting some forever! Just never had a tank that was right for them)
and loaches, probably kuhli since dwarf chain loaches are nowhere to be found.
Also, otos--eventually.
The last "middle area" school is still up in the air. I'm currently debating between pygmy corys, ember tetras, strawberry rasboras, pristella tetras, or neon tetras. I know most neons aren't particularly hardy so they're almost out of the running immediately, but I've thought they'd look nice against the planted background for a while, and I don't want to go with cardinals due to size.

The pristellas are a nice flashy silver, but then so are the hatchetfish. Hmm.

I'd definitely try to find some big rooted anubias to work into that collection of stuff on the right to try to make sure the roots are a visible feature as they grow.

Love this and haven't seen it in many tanks at all. I think it looks a bit like a lost world :) Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about glowlight tetras? They have a different neon-colored stripe than neon tetras, but they're much hardier and easier to take care of.

Thanks guys. I'll have to look at the glowlights. And there will definitely be multiple species of anubias--it's one of my favs. So easy to take care of.

I had it suggested by someone that I take the gate out, so figured I'd toss up a pic without the gate with the cubes rearranged a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_224822392_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150219_224822392_HDR.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 177
Thanks guys. I'll have to look at the glowlights. And there will definitely be multiple species of anubias--it's one of my favs. So easy to take care of.

I had it suggested by someone that I take the gate out, so figured I'd toss up a pic without the gate with the cubes rearranged a bit.

Love the look!!!! Where could i get cubes like that??? What are the called???

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hardscape with plants added.

And now with plants.

Attachments

• IMG_20150221_100446007_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150221_100446007_HDR.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 85
Looking good :) Did you glue the cubes in their position or are they just balanced together? Do you know what they are made of? This has really made me want a new tank to do something similar :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For fish you should do:

6 silver hatchets
8 glowlight tetras
1 pearl gourami
4 kuhli loaches
1 cockatoo apisto

The cubes are a plastic from Petco, same as most of their decorations. I zip tied the top one that's leaning to the tall one. The rest are stable enough that they won't move. Once the plants grow in and around them, I may remove the zip tie.

I'm planning on pearl gouramis in another tank sometime in the near future, so none in here. It'll be 6 hatchetfish, 2 apistos--either cockatoo or apistogramma trifasciata, 5 or 6 kuhlis, 4 or 5 otos once established enough, and a school of something. Not really a fan of the glowlights. Thinking pygmy cories, ember tetras, pristella tetras, strawberry rasboras...something like that. Depends on what apisto I get and which type of hatchetfish I get.

Back
Top Bottom