29G lighting and fixture change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoyoteWildfire

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my 29-Gallon FW Aquarium.

img_1286218_0_c265939ee3f0dbb106b58cd078eb6285.jpg

As you can see, there's a bit of a problem. For a planted aquarium, the light is pretty dim. Sadly, over time, my plants have suffered from the lower light.

Considering I didn't have many options in the interim, I decided to do a hick job of trying to get extra lighting. Thus creating this ugly beast.

img_1286218_1_58bb28306407d5b2656932383f396c6e.jpg

I wedged in my 10G fixture to add just a little extra light. =P Please feel free to laugh--I did.

So! I purchased myself a new fixture and canopy. Canopy came today.

img_1286218_2_25211a1840b771c3175a376db90432c6.jpg

Unfortunately, I've had a **** of a time trying to get the plastic slip to slide onto the glass properly. I finally gave up for another time after a number of these:

img_1286218_3_997502acdb19b12d8ad560ee72494e7d.jpg

Has anyone had such problems trying to get the plastic to slide onto their canopy? Not for nothing, exercise and workouts are a huge part of my life and I was struggling...

Anyways, more pics up later after I get the new fixture and as I set it up!

I just put together the same canopy this weekend and it gave me some trouble. I slit my index finger with the plastic piece. I worked it on a little at a time and eventually got it all the way one. Just take your time and you'll get it.

Perfect. I figured that was the case, but I figure I ought to cut it to shape first before I fuss any more with putting it on. Is that what you did?

I cut mine after. I left it folded and put it on the tank, marked where it needed to be cut then took it off and cut it. I used a razor blade to cut it and that worked well. That way I could make sure the lid would close and I had cut deep enough for the filter to fit.

Ahhh, great to hear. I'll do the same and see if I can find a razor blade to use. Did you just score and tear or did you have to cut all the way through? (Cutting all the way through will determine exactly what surface I'll have to use to make the cuts on.)

Good idea. I'll use that then...

Finally got the canopy together. I have to tell you, that was the most difficult thing I've done. Harder than even carrying the 29G tank partially filled with water and substrate.

img_1288339_0_061bfd54a110d5568a1f17ae852f4935.jpg

Had to use olive oil as a lubricant to get it to finally slide on. Mounted the handle as well.

Looks good. I'm glad you were able to get it together. I didn't think I would ever finish mine. I love this canopy and I think you will too. The opening is larger than the one on my stock canopy and it makes cleaning the tank easier.

Just a quick word of caution. Those plastic pieces in the back, when used, have the potential to cause poor gas exchange in your tank creating the risk of elevated co2 levels meaning a pH crash. I ran a glass lid on my 150g for a while until my pH crashed. Haven't used one since.

So what would the difference be between using the stock canopy, which is all plastic, and a glass canopy with a 2" strip of plastic. Also, I have an aerator in my tank putting out a small amount of bubbles which should help with the gas exchange correct?
We have a cat that will go fishing if the tank isn't covered. We've also had a fish jump out a small hole in the back before we got this canopy. So it's going to have to be covered somehow.

The plastic hoods can do it too if they don't ahve the space to let some air in. A bubbler helps in this situation, but IMO its best to leave the plastic strip off the back. A cat shouldn't be able to do anything with the 1.5" of space that plastic piece covers

If it weren't for the fact that the plastic backing held the canopy in place properly, I probably would have left it off too. Especially since that thing was a bear to get on, and I have the cuts, sores and blisters to prove it.

Got the fixture today. Will be posting pictures sometime tonight...

Well! Finally getting around to these pics... I'll tackle this in two posts, one for the canopy and one for the fixture.

So, here it is after I cut the plastic to shape:

img_1292136_0_f2faea0c667c9966fb8d5c09ea8aa576.jpg

I had to measure by eye, then mark with a sharpie while trying to support the existing fixture with my other hand, so it was a bit of a trick. The first cut ended being in the right place but not large enough, but here is the final product.

img_1292136_1_5a61eecdeccc532f30d3929cf7384864.jpg

To be honest, I always preferred the traditional plastic canopies and thought the flat glass ones were pretty drab... Until I got this one together and saw it on my tank. I'm very much a convert!

So, imagine my excitement when I go out for an afternoon and come back to see a big package in my name sitting at my doorstep. Especially when I received a notification from the courier that it would be delayed and not come until next week. Needless to say I was quite excited to crack it open!

img_1292250_0_4f94d870580ebfe2b1d38a6311747cb1.jpg

Tada!

...wait... was something rattling around in there?

img_1292250_1_2bcf2cfb690edee4edb3e5796608275a.jpg

You can imagine my dismay when plastic pieces started falling out of the boxes. And that metal sheet to the right side of the picture? That was sliding around freely and not fixed in place whatsoever... I was a little annoyed.

img_1292250_2_70dd595bfcbbbdd83e0ce707cf1d6a46.jpg

Fortunately, after taking the entire frame apart, all the pieces were there and intact, barring the damaged plastic guard. I never had to put together a frame for a light fixture before, but I learned pretty fast...

You know how they say guys never read directions? I swear I tore that box apart to try to find those directions, and what did I find? Plastic chips and lint! FML.

So, first things first... get it together as best I can and test the lighting.

img_1292250_3_040850b28ec4a5eeb21409edfd88e6ee.jpg

I started to feel a little better when I powered this puppy up. Just one bulb was already higher light output than that light I had with my old and 10G fixtures. So, after breathing a sigh of relief, I turned toward getting the rest of the parts fully-assembled...which is where things got a little ugly.

You know those loose pieces of sheet metal? They're supposed to guard the wires on either side of the fixture in the frame. Okay, so just get them in place and we're good to go right? Wrong. One of the pieces of metal were just a centimeter too long and I couldn't properly screw the sides on. And yes, the sides were responsible for holding the entire fixture together.

Fortunately enough, at least a couple of the screws would still go in, despite the length of the metal. I don't have anything to cut metal sadly, or I'd have just trimmed it down. This is what it looked like after about forty five minutes of irritating and trial and error.

img_1292250_4_6f0388220e43667bbca210fba84dc5bc.jpg

Now you can see where those sheets were SUPPOSED to belong.

So fixture's all set and I'm finally ready to put it on my tank. Finally. Only to realize that it's quite wide and I can't open my tank with the fixture resting on top... Okay, big deal, minor annoyance. I'll just use the stands that come with it and that'll get it a few inches off the canopy.

But wait! That would be easy, wouldn't it? The stands mount on the outside of the tank as well as the inside. Bottom line, I can't use a canopy of any sort if I want to use the stands. So now I have to take off the fixture if I want to get in the tank, or rest it precariously on top of my filters. *facepalm* At least it looks nice...

img_1292250_5_489993362efd8a90f4814963eb9d2fac.jpg

The nice part is the frame sits quite snugly on my tank and didn't slide or rock. So, all that was left was to plug it in. I dangled the cable behind my desk so I could reach under and finish this......but no matter what I did I couldn't find the cable. After some rather confused searching, I took another look at the power cable.

Three feet long, if that.

*headdesk* Three feet long? That's not even enough to hang off the desk, much less touch the floor. Who came up with the idea to stick on a power cord that is otherwise completely useless? Where's he going to stick it?

In the end though the light is beautiful and wonderfully clear. I love it and so do my plants...

img_1292250_6_39383f32a13cb6b866d2cdd4db732c53.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Because one of my bulbs ended up being a 5000K T5HO, and I meant to get a 10000K, I ordered one and got it replaced today.

img_1292265_0_7fef7c8c3b36030181ce4518c5aa70a1.jpg

As you'll notice, I got some new plants today. Haha, either the guy was dumb as rocks and couldn't read price tags or he really thought my girlfriend was cute...

We got a Cuban Ludwigia, Melon Sword, Four Leaf Clover, and a Cardinal Plant, all for $2.68 apiece. All of them big and healthy. We were only going to get two plants, but when it came out to the grand total we knew we had to take advantage of the deal.

Hopefully the new lighting will really help out with that.

*headdesk* Three feet long? That's not even enough to hang off the desk, much less touch the floor. What pot smoking sadist came up with the idea to stick on a power cord that is otherwise completely useless? Where's he going to stick it, some Magical Unicorn's butthole? Well, excuse me, but not all of us are fortunate to have a Magical Unicorn on hand willing to lend its hind regions to light my fish tank. Someone shoot me before I die of stupid.

In the end though the light is beautiful and wonderfully clear. I love it and so do my plants...
:lol!: ya, those magical unicorns are quite expensive...
The tank looks awesome! But you're sure having a heck of a time with the lighting and stuff eh? that's really stupid that you can't open the canopy, and about the cord :( You should complain to the company and demand your money back :D

Haha, yeah... that was a real trip. All I have to say is I will recommend against ZooMed to everyone I can.

If I get the opportunity to complain, I will... I mean damage in shipping? Yeah, that's a bummer, but it happens... everything else I had to deal with? That was just unnecessary...

Oh well. In the grand scheme of things, my tank is doing well... And I think the fish and plants' health are probably the most important factor here. So if they're doing okay, then I can get over my irritation. It was just that it was supposed to be something as inane as screw in bulbs, plug in, admire.

And instead it turned into the rant above... Haha.

Exactly... And that was my biggest concern... I didn't want there to be too little light that the plants couldn't grow but for the fish that that creates high lighting, there's plenty of plant coverage now in which they can take shelter.

The glass cats don't care for intense light... Though that doesn't stop them from coming out when they feel like it. They're really really active at night when the light is off though.

Back
Top Bottom