29g stock ideas and bottom protection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I just bought a new 29 gallon tank (30x12x18) with Fluval c3 filter.
I want to stock it with:
1 x Angel
1 x Up-down Catfish
4 x Blue Ram
Is ok?

And I want to protect the bottom, I want to put a piece of 3mm acrilyc glass on the bottom, big enough, but not to cover full bottom.

Do you have any advice or warnings?

Thanks

Why would you need to protect the bottom? I have a 29 gallon with black sand (blasting grit) and have had no problems with the bottom of the tank. If you are worried about heavy, rough decorations just put a layer of clear silicone on the bottom of them to protect the tank from scratches. Or you could crazy glue some filter padding to it. Usually your layer of sand or gravel is enough to protect the bottom glass.

I think ram and angel is compatible.

Thanks for the answers, one more question - I'm not overstocked? UpDown Catfish interesting? Or it will hide all the time and not move?

Rams and angels are kept together pretty frequently. They should be fine. I'd add a couple more catfish, I've heard they do better when kept in groups.

1 x Angel
3 x Up-down Catfish
4 x Blue Ram

Won't be heavenly overstocked?

In my opinion, no. Large weekly water changes (about 50%) should suffice.

Ok angels cannot go in a 29 gallon. You may raise them in it but they grow to 8 Inches tall and 6 inches wide, they need tall tanks with tons of room to swim up and down, id say no less than 55 gallon tall

I think you are fine

2 rams MAX! They need to both be females or male & female, that's my catch
And you can add another small school of fish

I think you are fine

2 rams MAX! They need to both be females or male & female, that's my catch
And you can add another small school of fish

Angel wont eat a snail? What kind of fish I can add to this community?

Yeah, you can totally keep a single angelfish in a 29 gallon. It's the same height as a 55 gallon. A single angel does not need a 4 foot tank.

4 rams should be fine in a 30" tank. They aren't terribly aggressive even when spawning.

Thanks

And how about African dwarf frog? Angel or Ram wont eat it?

African dwarf frog will probably be outcompeted for food in that setup. I wouldn't try it.

How about a Mini Crab? And how many snails can I put there?

Or maybe something like this:
2 x Angels (Female to prevent the fights).
2 x Blue Rams
3 x UpDown Catfish
It can work?

UpDown Catfish is good to clean the bottom?

Thanks

I forget to tell you, that my water ph is 8-8.2. Is OK? Or better to buy some drifwoods to lower it?
Or maybe even better to put some peat moss (like a Fluval Peat Granules) in the filter? But if ill put it, when I'll do water change, ph wont jump from high to low and harm my fished?

Thanks

I wouldn't do 2 angels and upside down cats won't clean the bottom IMO. If you want a bottom dweller who will forge for left over food cory cats would be a good option.

I think ram and angel is compatible.

Thanks for the answers, one more question - I'm not overstocked? UpDown Catfish interesting? Or it will hide all the time and not move?

My upside down catfish are the most timid fish I own. I have 5 together, and still they hide most of the time. If they are really hungry, they will dart out while the lights are on and grab a couple of pellets.
You just can't beat corydoras for cleaning up uneaten food and sheer entertainment.

Thanks!
But what kind of cory? Sterba's Cory is timid too or more active?

Something like a:
1 x Angel
4 x Ram
4 x Sterbai Cory

There is a place to somebody else? Snails (like a 3 x Assassin Snail)? Angelfish can eat my snails? Or what other kind of snails you can advise me?

Thanks!!!

I like Julii cory's as they tend to be less shy and quite active. Personally I don't like 4 rams in a smaller tank but to each their own. I'd drop 2 rams and put in a small school of something to add more movement to the tank.

My albinos, peppereds, sterbais, juliis, and emeralds are my most active cories, but my peppereds and emeralds are also growing larger than the others, so probably not a good choice for your 29g.
All cories are great though :D

Back
Top Bottom