29g tank with gourami! what else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 3 year old opaline gourami in a 29 gallon tank. There is only 4 zebra danios left and two snails with him. I need to redo the tank. What should i add? There use to be neons, rasboras, and lamp eyes. What should I stock it with now? I want interesting fish but easy to care for. Also my gourami is a cranky pants. No corys he killed the last ones and no pleco. He wasn't to nice to mollies either. Help?

Arnt killifish to colorful? I was told nothing bright or he will want it. I was thinking platy or maybe try Molly again... i don't know
I don't think he will. I have female bettas with my 3 gouramis and they haven't even touched each other.

I don't think he will. I have female bettas with my 3 gouramis and they haven't even touched each other.

It's a case of fish personality. In this instance there is a hyper aggressive fish that needs tank mates.

It's going to be hard to stick something in with a fish that's aggressive and 6" long in a tank that size. If your tank was larger I'd suggest putting it in with some cichlids but you will need a 55g tank for that. Maybe a school of tiger barbs and a pair of large angels would work with that. The barbs are a fish that can take a bit of abuse while the angels are a bit larger in size.

It's a case of fish personality. In this instance there is a hyper aggressive fish that needs tank mates.

It's going to be hard to stick something in with a fish that's aggressive and 6" long in a tank that size. If your tank was larger I'd suggest putting it in with some cichlids but you will need a 55g tank for that. Maybe a school of tiger barbs and a pair of large angels would work with that. The barbs are a fish that can take a bit of abuse while the angels are a bit larger in size.

Haha!! Funny you say that. I have a 55g cichlid tank right now. I was wanting to get rid of my gourami and put the betta with the perfect stock... my mom had now told me that the gourami is not going anywhere! I have tried telling her he is my fish.. but she says he's in her house :p

Yes its for sure a male gourami and had lived with lamp eyes and currently zebra danios. Adding more fish that are weak are out of the question. I had angles in my 55 already but after having my big angle die... i don't want to do it again. I could see myself getting tiger barbs though. Those guys are small fast and tough. What others can go?

Adult mollies, possibly some south american cichlids (Convict maybe?), and possibly rainbows.

I honestly know next to nothing about the south american cichlids so I can't really make educated suggestions.

Adult mollies, possibly some south american cichlids (Convict maybe?), and possibly rainbows.

I honestly know next to nothing about the south american cichlids so I can't really make educated suggestions.

I personally don't think rainbows are nice looking... kinda flat and funny. I have cobalt blue and like eclectic yellows. A few others.. i was going to re home the female electric yellow and two blue cobalt since they are smaller and getting picked on.. would it be horrible to put them in there?

I personally don't think rainbows are nice looking... kinda flat and funny. I have cobalt blue and like eclectic yellows. A few others.. i was going to re home the female electric yellow and two blue cobalt since they are smaller and getting picked on.. would it be horrible to put them in there?

It probably wouldn't be terrible for a while because they are mbunas which can and do take a pounding; but I wouldn't expect it to last long term due to the tank size.

The flat and funny look are exactly why rainbows are awesome! :) They are a goofy looking fish

When was the last time you did a complete rescape of your tank? That might be part of the issue because gouramis can be territorial.

When was the last time you did a complete rescape of your tank? That might be part of the issue because gouramis can be territorial.

I can't really rescape the tank... the huge ornament takes up the whole tank and that's his house. He doesn't come out much.

Is this a common rainbow? I remember when I was shopping and saw them they were all silver and absolutely no color. Maybe these were them? It says if you have a school, a 4 foot tank is best. So should I get like 3 of them? Are these common also?

ForumRunner_20131215_000613.jpg

So far this is where I am at... just grouping my thoughts so its easier to find instead of having to re read the whole chat.
-The current gourami
-the current two trap door snails
-5-7 tiger barbs (prob 6 actually maybe 7 depending on price)
-3 or so rainbows? The ones in the picture above?
Can anything else go in there that is like small?

Have you seen a picture of the tank? I want to show you if you didn't see in my last thread. I do plan on maybe getting more live plants for it, just depends on price. Could maybe place some slate in there as well? So small spots for the barbs or something

ForumRunner_20131215_001522.jpg

I would do a school of 6 praecox rainbows. The ones you show are the boesmani and need a bigger tank. It might be a good idea to add some tall plants in there to break up li.e of sight a bit.

I would do a school of 6 praecox rainbows. The ones you show are the boesmani and need a bigger tank. It might be a good idea to add some tall plants in there to break up li.e of sight a bit.

Okay i will get six of those guys. They have a nice red. It says purchase size is 1-2 inchs.. will my gourami bother them?
When putting the fish in should i get the gourami to stay in a big container for a day? I have a garbage can that had holes in the bottom. I used it for the more aggressive cichlids tell i could find a home. Would putting him in there and rearranging the tank then adding the fish work with territorial things?

What kind of plant is this? I bought a whole wack and this is what has survived for over two years. Has green slim on it though :/ just want to know so i can tell the petstore. Any hardy tall plants that you think might work the best?

ForumRunner_20131215_103917.jpg

ForumRunner_20131215_103933.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46
Okay i will get six of those guys. They have a nice red. It says purchase size is 1-2 inchs.. will my gourami bother them?
When putting the fish in should i get the gourami to stay in a big container for a day? I have a garbage can that had holes in the bottom. I used it for the more aggressive cichlids tell i could find a home. Would putting him in there and rearranging the tank then adding the fish work with territorial things?

Their body also has a beautiful blue shimmer to it on top of the red fins. It's a goofy looking fish but a nice one. I think it would be a good idea to do a rearranging with the gourami out of the tank. I would try leaving him out of the tank for a day if possible or at least in a container he can't see out of floating in the tank.

Those plants look like java ferns to me. Some taller plants you could try are anacharis or water sprite. It really depends on what light you have though.

Their body also has a beautiful blue shimmer to it on top of the red fins. It's a goofy looking fish but a nice one. I think it would be a good idea to do a rearranging with the gourami out of the tank. I would try leaving him out of the tank for a day if possible or at least in a container he can't see out of floating in the tank.

Those plants look like java ferns to me. Some taller plants you could try are anacharis or water sprite. It really depends on what light you have though.
Yes the garbage can is a solid green. Make him stay in there and re arrange then put fish in and give them a day i think is what ill do. The light came with the 29g when i bought it new at petsmart. Is says aqueon full spectrum 32c 17wt8 24" lol. I will ask about those plants

I am really happy with the stock and everything now :) i like those plants also! I am trying out a new pet store in town. A couple with like 40 years experience just opened it. I will look into those planta with him but i will look at what he has also. I think i would trust him more then others at a pet store. Ill write down my bulb also. Is my tank about full with those three different fish in it?

Back
Top Bottom