29gal Centerpiece Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drocnoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a South American planted 29gal aquarium currently stocked with 10 serpaes, 5 julii corys and a king tiger pleco.

I was previously thinking Angelfish for the Centerpiece but would those get too big for a 29? I would start with quarter dollars sized ones.

I would like to keep it South American, the tank is currently planted with various sword plants.

current pic => http://www.collectiveoss.com/FileUpload/store/tank 003.jpg

Thanks much,
D

Could you suggest something else Michael_R?

Rams could work but I haven't seen them around FF.

Any other opinions on the Serpaes?

Maybe switch them out for some other tetra? I like the bright color of the Serpaes.

In a group of ten most of the aggression is going to be directed to each other. How are they now, do they bother your cories?

You could always try it and switch out the serpaes later if things do not work out. There are lots of other tetras to choose from.

Rams are beautiful fish as well. They are more sensative and harder to keep.

That's also what I have read Rich.

They haven't bothered the Corys to date and only really nip each other during feeding which I read is normal as they have a pecking order.

I find serpaes are nippy no matter the size of their group.

Do you like the red colours of serpaes? I would then look into flame tetras.

Don't got for red phantom tetras though, they like cooler water. :wink:

I used to have Serpaes in a community tank with dwarf cichlids and they were fine; however, some are very nippy. It all depends on the temperament of your Serpaes. Another wonderful centerpiece fish would be rainbows. I think some are SA (but do your research first).

A quick look at either my profile or pictures of the tanks and fish in my sig will speak volumes about whether serpaes and angels have compatibility issues.

I recommend things that I have firsthand experience in. :)

A pair of angelfish in a 29 gallon tank will work fine. If the Serpaes are too nippy try some Columbian Red and Blue Tetras. They are some of the larger tetras and get quite colorful. You should avoid some of the smaller tetras (i.e. neons) as the angelfish may regard them as a nice snack.

Back
Top Bottom