29gal tall build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaminBen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Picked up my tank, substrate and some plants today!

29 gal fluval tank
Fluval c3 HOB filter
Fluval m100 heater

Anubias
Ludwiga
Eleochatis sp
Cryptocoryne

40 lbs eco complete substrate...

And more to come!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421807553.601356.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421807571.972660.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No rim, but it does have a lid?
My lfs was out of stands for this tank, so she gave me the floor model, didn't have to put it together and o got $30 store credit for plants!
This is what I've got going on right now, planning to go rock and driftwood hunting this weekend to fill In the hardscape... My general plan is to have the right third densely planted, the middle medium, and the right third sparse,ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421809881.952088.jpg

So for stocking I'm thinking a decent shoal of neon tetras 6-7 bronze corys and some fire red shrimp. Anyone have any ideas of a good centrepiece? My lfs is getting dwarf red honey gouramis in sometime this month but I don't think I'll be cycled yet...

Also my fluval c3 is making strange buzzing noises every 5ish minutes... Kinda sounds like something's getting stripped anyone else have this problem?

And which of these plants would benefit from root tabs?

I've got a similar set-up. It's a 29 with cories, cardinal tetras, and cherry barbs. The cories have a nice tumble-bumble personality. The cardinals & cherries bring a nice color to the planted tank. My "center piece" is a bolivian ram. He/she is not the most vibrant (only about 8 months old, maybe that will change). But it's got a great personality. Whenever I come in the room, it always comes out front & center to see me. Kind of like a dog when you come home. I'm pleased with the tank--balanced in terms of appearance & personality.

You need to separate out your stems. Your Crypts need root tabs. Any Swords will also benefit. I just add root tabs every 5-6" square in my sand tanks. Short plants in front.
If your heater is submersible you can lay it along the back wall.

A black background is what I use. I just have black cloth behind mine.

Stems should be planted as separate stems with the leaves not quite touching. Otherwise they don't get enough light down to the bottom and the bottoms of the stems will die out. You can trim and replant as needed.

http://youtu.be/44cDbR2YvK4

Last edited:
I've thought about Bolivians before, would they be better by themselves or in a m/f pair or trio? Also they need temps in the high 70's would the tetras be okay in these temps?

Coursair, excellent video thanks!

Although I don't quite get why they trim the roots so much, don't you want a well developed root system?

I'm picking up a couple more (free with my store credit!!) plants after work and I'll go home and fix my crypt and Anubias.

I've thought about Bolivians before, would they be better by themselves or in a m/f pair or trio? Also they need temps in the high 70's would the tetras be okay in these temps?

In a tank that size, I'd do a single Bolivian. They can get territorial when they breed and are larger and slightly more aggressive than Blue Rams. If you do a trio, one may end up getting harassed to death. You could technically do 5+ Bolivians, where the aggression is spread, but you'd need a larger tank. Rams need lots of plants and driftwood, and also like cave-like structures. Add the Bolivian last to the tank, at least three months after cycling (they're sensitive to ammonia). Also, I don't know much about your substrate, but Bolivians like fine sand. They sift through it looking for food. Larger pieces of gravel have reportedly caused problems.

I'd shoot for 77 F in that tank. Neons and Bronze Corys prefer low/mid-70s and, unlike Blue Rams, Bolivians are OK below 80.

Since all of the fish that you're considering inhabit the lower half of the tank, you might want a small shoal of fish for the upper half. Bloodfin and Black Neon Tetras are both hardy and easy mid-upper dwellers.

So I went a little plant crazy at the lfs... I think it's probably going to end up very very overgrown...

Also I'm thinking of moving my 5 neon tetras over from my 5 gallon with some established filter media and maybe some biological supplement that came with the kit, thoughts?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421886867.097838.jpg

Also my heater has a line where the water is supposed to go so I don't think it's submersible.

Also my heater has a line where the water is supposed to go so I don't think it's submersible.

I would double check into that... My heater has a "water level" line as well and that's the minimum depth you can put the water to, and then it has a maximum depth of so many inches.

The front left plant in the corner looks like it is an Anubis. Make sure the rhizome (thick stem roots and leave shoots come out of) isn't buried.

Make sure you supply root tabs for the crypts and all other plants they'll probably need the ferts

So I went a little plant crazy at the lfs... I think it's probably going to end up very very overgrown...

Also I'm thinking of moving my 5 neon tetras over from my 5 gallon with some established filter media and maybe some biological supplement that came with the kit, thoughts?View attachment 261817

If the tank isn't cycled yet, I'd use some of the filter media from your 5 gallon to cycle the 29. Do this before adding the Neons. Neons aren't the best fish for cycling small-ish tanks.

After your tank is cycled, I'd add at least five more Neons. They're small and you have plenty of room in there.

Back
Top Bottom