2nd heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightowl66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up a 20 long a month ago in my family room downstairs. I put a 150W heater in it because it gets in the mid 60’s’s down there sometimes. I wasn’t thinking about when it gets near zero out and wind I fire up my upstairs wood burner. The furnace doesn’t run and it will get down to the high 50’s down there.
Should I add a 2nd smaller heater?

You shouldn't need it. I got an unfinished basement with tanks in it. It's currently 58 degrees down there. I got a 150w heater in a 29g and my heater is only turned up a 1/3 and the tank is at 77 degrees. I do have a lid though which matters quite a bit.

Tank Heater

I set up a 20 long a month ago in my family room downstairs. I put a 150W heater in it because it gets in the mid 60’s’s down there sometimes. I wasn’t thinking about when it gets near zero out and wind I fire up my upstairs wood burner. The furnace doesn’t run and it will get down to the high 50’s down there.
Should I add a 2nd smaller heater?

Hello night...

Just figure 5 watts of heat for every gallon of tank volume. If you do the math, a 150 watt heater is more than sufficient for your 20 G. If you'd like to distribute the heat over a larger area, just install a dual sponge filter near the heater. The bubble action of the sponge filter will get the heat out over a larger area.

B

Back
Top Bottom