Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 93
2nd tank in the living room

I just set up my 2nd tank, just waiting 24 to 47 hours to add fish. Any ideas on what would work with a 10 gallon tank. I love betas, and shrimp wish I could have both together but now that it might not be the best idea
__________________

__________________
Roxane1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
ebjornsgard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 63
Male guppies are colorful and fit nicely in a 10 gallon tank.
__________________

__________________
ebjornsgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 93
Picture

Picture of my set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26814559_10155375679100888_8068198853050708132_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	306441  
__________________
Roxane1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxane1232 View Post
I just set up my 2nd tank, just waiting 24 to 47 hours to add fish. Any ideas on what would work with a 10 gallon tank. I love betas, and shrimp wish I could have both together but now that it might not be the best idea
You might get away with ghost shrimp and a betta. Really depends on the temperament of the betta.
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
You might get away with ghost shrimp and a betta. Really depends on the temperament of the betta.
I'm guessing if I tried that I would want to add the shrimp first before adding the beta.
__________________
Roxane1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
King Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Nevada
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxane1232 View Post
I'm guessing if I tried that I would want to add the shrimp first before adding the beta.
Yes I would. Ideally if you had the shrimp already and the betta as a baby there's a good chance the betta would become accustomed to the shrimp. It's just hard to tell with temperament until you try it.
__________________
King Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 93
Just wanted to give you all an update. I went for a visit to my lfs, and decided to do a focus tank primarily on espei rasboras, and dwarf neo cardina shrimp, although not sure if I'm going to do bee or red cherry shrimp. I also might add some pygmies, as they are so cute and would fit nicely in the tank, and would help keep my sand clean. As I found it gets dirty easily.
__________________
Roxane1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,887
You should cycle the tank before you add anything, if you don't cycle the tank you will have to do fish in cycle which you will be performing water changes on a daily basis so that your ammonia /nitrite don't get out off hand and kill your fish.


EDIT : if you used pre seeded media from the other tank it might cycle still but might not, just keep testing the water.
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
You should cycle the tank before you add anything, if you don't cycle the tank you will have to do fish in cycle which you will be performing water changes on a daily basis so that your ammonia /nitrite don't get out off hand and kill your fish.


EDIT : if you used pre seeded media from the other tank it might cycle still but might not, just keep testing the water.
It's already cycled, I added some precycled media, from my well established 20 gallon, and tested it and I have already gone straight to 20 nitrates everything is perfect, I just added the 3 espies for now to keep my beneficial bacteria growing. Also espei rasboras are fantastic for cycling a tank if you do a fish in cycle. I used them when I had no cycled media on my first tank, and they did great, and had no health problems, but I did also do water changes a couple times a week, but I still have all of them and that was last April.
__________________
Roxane1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxane1232 View Post
It's already cycled, I added some precycled media, from my well established 20 gallon, and tested it and I have already gone straight to 20 nitrates everything is perfect, I just added the 3 espies for now to keep my beneficial bacteria growing. Also espei rasboras are fantastic for cycling a tank if you do a fish in cycle. I used them when I had no cycled media on my first tank, and they did great, and had no health problems, but I did also do water changes a couple times a week, but I still have all of them and that was last April.
That's a relief to hear, I recently just had 2 family members get tanks add water, add fish and wake up to them dead and they call me and are like what happened??
__________________

__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOving tank from Living room to Bedroom bawel Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 03-30-2009 09:55 PM
Look what the nice delivery people left in my living room! artoledo New Acquisitions 4 07-11-2007 11:07 AM
How big tank you can put safely in the living room? gu2high Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 17 12-18-2006 05:42 PM
Waterpipe in my living room.... c0mf0rt Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 01-01-2005 06:40 PM
The sun has risen in my living room. Pain Devine Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 01-11-2004 08:49 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.