Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

2nd tank in the living room

I just set up my 2nd tank, just waiting 24 to 47 hours to add fish. Any ideas on what would work with a 10 gallon tank. I love betas, and shrimp wish I could have both together but now that it might not be the best idea

Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Male guppies are colorful and fit nicely in a 10 gallon tank.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Picture

Picture of my set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26814559_10155375679100888_8068198853050708132_n.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	306441  
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxane1232 View Post
I just set up my 2nd tank, just waiting 24 to 47 hours to add fish. Any ideas on what would work with a 10 gallon tank. I love betas, and shrimp wish I could have both together but now that it might not be the best idea
You might get away with ghost shrimp and a betta. Really depends on the temperament of the betta.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
You might get away with ghost shrimp and a betta. Really depends on the temperament of the betta.
I'm guessing if I tried that I would want to add the shrimp first before adding the beta.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm guessing if I tried that I would want to add the shrimp first before adding the beta.
Yes I would. Ideally if you had the shrimp already and the betta as a baby there's a good chance the betta would become accustomed to the shrimp. It's just hard to tell with temperament until you try it.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just wanted to give you all an update. I went for a visit to my lfs, and decided to do a focus tank primarily on espei rasboras, and dwarf neo cardina shrimp, although not sure if I'm going to do bee or red cherry shrimp. I also might add some pygmies, as they are so cute and would fit nicely in the tank, and would help keep my sand clean. As I found it gets dirty easily.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should cycle the tank before you add anything, if you don't cycle the tank you will have to do fish in cycle which you will be performing water changes on a daily basis so that your ammonia /nitrite don't get out off hand and kill your fish.

EDIT : if you used pre seeded media from the other tank it might cycle still but might not, just keep testing the water.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
You should cycle the tank before you add anything, if you don't cycle the tank you will have to do fish in cycle which you will be performing water changes on a daily basis so that your ammonia /nitrite don't get out off hand and kill your fish.

EDIT : if you used pre seeded media from the other tank it might cycle still but might not, just keep testing the water.
It's already cycled, I added some precycled media, from my well established 20 gallon, and tested it and I have already gone straight to 20 nitrates everything is perfect, I just added the 3 espies for now to keep my beneficial bacteria growing. Also espei rasboras are fantastic for cycling a tank if you do a fish in cycle. I used them when I had no cycled media on my first tank, and they did great, and had no health problems, but I did also do water changes a couple times a week, but I still have all of them and that was last April.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's already cycled, I added some precycled media, from my well established 20 gallon, and tested it and I have already gone straight to 20 nitrates everything is perfect, I just added the 3 espies for now to keep my beneficial bacteria growing. Also espei rasboras are fantastic for cycling a tank if you do a fish in cycle. I used them when I had no cycled media on my first tank, and they did great, and had no health problems, but I did also do water changes a couple times a week, but I still have all of them and that was last April.
That's a relief to hear, I recently just had 2 family members get tanks add water, add fish and wake up to them dead and they call me and are like what happened??

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com