2nd tank in the living room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxane1232

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my 2nd tank, just waiting 24 to 47 hours to add fish. Any ideas on what would work with a 10 gallon tank. I love betas, and shrimp wish I could have both together but now that it might not be the best idea

Picture

Picture of my set up

Attachments

• 26814559_10155375679100888_8068198853050708132_n.jpg
    26814559_10155375679100888_8068198853050708132_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 61
I just set up my 2nd tank, just waiting 24 to 47 hours to add fish. Any ideas on what would work with a 10 gallon tank. I love betas, and shrimp wish I could have both together but now that it might not be the best idea
You might get away with ghost shrimp and a betta. Really depends on the temperament of the betta.

I'm guessing if I tried that I would want to add the shrimp first before adding the beta.
Yes I would. Ideally if you had the shrimp already and the betta as a baby there's a good chance the betta would become accustomed to the shrimp. It's just hard to tell with temperament until you try it.

Just wanted to give you all an update. I went for a visit to my lfs, and decided to do a focus tank primarily on espei rasboras, and dwarf neo cardina shrimp, although not sure if I'm going to do bee or red cherry shrimp. I also might add some pygmies, as they are so cute and would fit nicely in the tank, and would help keep my sand clean. As I found it gets dirty easily.

You should cycle the tank before you add anything, if you don't cycle the tank you will have to do fish in cycle which you will be performing water changes on a daily basis so that your ammonia /nitrite don't get out off hand and kill your fish.

EDIT : if you used pre seeded media from the other tank it might cycle still but might not, just keep testing the water.

You should cycle the tank before you add anything, if you don't cycle the tank you will have to do fish in cycle which you will be performing water changes on a daily basis so that your ammonia /nitrite don't get out off hand and kill your fish.

EDIT : if you used pre seeded media from the other tank it might cycle still but might not, just keep testing the water.
It's already cycled, I added some precycled media, from my well established 20 gallon, and tested it and I have already gone straight to 20 nitrates everything is perfect, I just added the 3 espies for now to keep my beneficial bacteria growing. Also espei rasboras are fantastic for cycling a tank if you do a fish in cycle. I used them when I had no cycled media on my first tank, and they did great, and had no health problems, but I did also do water changes a couple times a week, but I still have all of them and that was last April.

It's already cycled, I added some precycled media, from my well established 20 gallon, and tested it and I have already gone straight to 20 nitrates everything is perfect, I just added the 3 espies for now to keep my beneficial bacteria growing. Also espei rasboras are fantastic for cycling a tank if you do a fish in cycle. I used them when I had no cycled media on my first tank, and they did great, and had no health problems, but I did also do water changes a couple times a week, but I still have all of them and that was last April.
That's a relief to hear, I recently just had 2 family members get tanks add water, add fish and wake up to them dead and they call me and are like what happened??

That's a relief to hear, I recently just had 2 family members get tanks add water, add fish and wake up to them dead and they call me and are like what happened??
I lucked out because I researched before I started my first tank, and talked to a bunch of experienced fish tank owners, as well as my favorite lfs store, who set me up and was willing to test my water and also give me tips while waiting for my tank to cycle. Because of that I had a successful cycle and didn't lose any fish. Problem is if you do a fish in cycle there is only certain fish that can handle it. Espei Rasboras especially can handle anything, but then you get those who go to the store and get neon tetras, cories, or shrimp and don't realize that those guys have to go into a much more established tank.

Although I know my tank is cycled I won't be adding any more fish until I have gotten consistent reading on my nitrates for at least 2 weeks, then I will add more 3 more espies, and then wait until at least 6 weeks to add shrimp or pygmy cories, that way it will also give my time to grow some foreground plants for my cherry shrimp.

I lucked out because I researched before I started my first tank, and talked to a bunch of experienced fish tank owners, as well as my favorite lfs store, who set me up and was willing to test my water and also give me tips while waiting for my tank to cycle. Because of that I had a successful cycle and didn't lose any fish. Problem is if you do a fish in cycle there is only certain fish that can handle it. Espei Rasboras especially can handle anything, but then you get those who go to the store and get neon tetras, cories, or shrimp and don't realize that those guys have to go into a much more established tank.

Although I know my tank is cycled I won't be adding any more fish until I have gotten consistent reading on my nitrates for at least 2 weeks, then I will add more 3 more espies, and then wait until at least 6 weeks to add shrimp or pygmy cories, that way it will also give my time to grow some foreground plants for my cherry shrimp.
When I started out I did a fish in cycle. Not on purpose but because of lack of knowledge. Not only that, I added 20 fish at once. When my water clouded up I was scrambling for info and doing water changes like crazy for nearly two weeks. Ended up with ich which I was able to cure the entire tank with no meds if you can believe that. Lol. End result was I overcrowded the tank. Through it all, all 6 of my neon tetras, all 4 of my red eyes tetras, 2 guppies, one pleco and a pictus cat made it. I had a new respect for these fish toughness.

When I started out I did a fish in cycle. Not on purpose but because of lack of knowledge. Not only that, I added 20 fish at once. When my water clouded up I was scrambling for info and doing water changes like crazy for nearly two weeks. Ended up with ich which I was able to cure the entire tank with no meds if you can believe that. Lol. End result was I overcrowded the tank. Through it all, all 6 of my neon tetras, all 4 of my red eyes tetras, 2 guppies, one pleco and a pictus cat made it. I had a new respect for these fish toughness.

I did too but luckily I have a great lfs that set me up to succeed and set me up with 5 espei rasboras, and because they are the only place I felt comfortable buying fish from, they wouldn't sell me any more fish for 6 weeks until I was completely cycled, although I was very anxious and thought I was cycled they still made me wait until I had a certain amount of Nitrates. In my 20 I have a honey gourami, ember tetras, 4 panda cories, 4 albino cories, and 3 amano and 2 ghost shrimp, but I have tons of filtration too, and plan on moving my cories to a 40 gallon in April.

I did too but luckily I have a great lfs that set me up to succeed and set me up with 5 espei rasboras, and because they are the only place I felt comfortable buying fish from, they wouldn't sell me any more fish for 6 weeks until I was completely cycled, although I was very anxious and thought I was cycled they still made me wait until I had a certain amount of Nitrates. In my 20 I have a honey gourami, ember tetras, 4 panda cories, 4 albino cories, and 3 amano and 2 ghost shrimp, but I have tons of filtration too, and plan on moving my cories to a 40 gallon in April.
You bring up a good point/idea. I triple the filtration on all my tanks. This does wonders for water quality.

You bring up a good point/idea. I triple the filtration on all my tanks. This does wonders for water quality.
Yes it does It also comes in handy to cycle a tank instantly. I have a 30 gallon filter and a 10 in my 20. I will most likely add a sponge filter to my 10 gallon eventually so I have a few extra filters ready to go. I also need to start cycling a 40 gallon filter, but not sure if it would be to much current for my gourami, although I think my cories would love it as, they seem to love current quite a bit. I also have to wait to rehome the rest of my endler fry.

Back
Top Bottom