Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

3.5 overhaul , Need suggestions.

3.5 gal marineland cresent shape. Has a whisper filter and small heater. Led lighting.
Currently has reddish sand and baby blue background.
I had a betta in there but yesterday it decided to jump ship... so I'm looking for suggestions on aquascape / stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120807_091038.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	111180   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120807_091104.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	111181  

Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would plant with wisteria and java moss and make it a red cherry shrimp tank.

I'm sorry to hear about your betta.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think anyone around me carries those shrimp. I live in cedar rapids Iowa so... My options are really limited.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I have no experience with plants, how would I go about that?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are pretty low light plants. That's what I keep. You can just pop the wisteria into your substrate. The java moss I just have hanging on decor (branches) and it grows really well without being planted.

There are members here who sell red cherry shrimp. That's how I got mine. I can't get them locally either.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarmalar View Post
I don't think anyone around me carries those shrimp. I live in cedar rapids Iowa so... My options are really limited.
You can always order shrimp online and have them mailed to you. Check out the Classifieds forum - there's usually someone selling shrimp. Rachel at Invertebrates by Msjinkzd also usually has them in stock (even if not listed, it's worth emailing her to ask).*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarmalar View Post
And I have no experience with plants, how would I go about that?
The Planted Tank forum is a reasonable place to do some reading. There's stickies with some links to articles about starting out. Don't get freaked out by the discussion of CO2 and high intensity lighting and DIY fertilizers - you can start simple with easy, low light, low maintenance plants and go from there. If you're going do to shrimp, they love things like Java Moss, which is an easy low-maintenance, low-light plant. (They love plants in general.)

Plants can also be purchased online and shipped if you don't have any local suppliers. Again, I'd look in the classifieds and in the plant forums. Sometimes if you post and ask nicely, someone will send you some trimmings for minimal cost (i.e., the cost of shipping).

A 3.5 gallon would make a really nice planted shrimp tank. There's a forum on invertebrates (e.g., shrimp) where you can learn more.

*I have no commercial ties or interest in this enterprise. Just have received good stock in the past.

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com