3 bristlenose plecos in a 40l???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I just wanted to check that 3 bristlenose plecos in a 40litre tank was ok?

Don't think I am a monster too fast. They normally live in a 110l long tank. This is sparkling clean and has no algae anywhere. However my 40l tank is covered in it. I have manual removed most. But some still remains on some ornaments and slate.

The main question is, is it ok to put my 3 juvenile plecos in the 40l for a week or so?

Both tanks are stocked comfortably. Both tanks are also over a year old. Thought this info may help.
The 40l tank has a dwarf clawed frog in it so wanted to check that would be ok with plecos as well, if not then ill just move him to my other 60l tank that has no bottom feeder.

Thanks for any responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think this will depend on how good the filtration is?
Size wise i think you are find if they are juveniles but as i'm sure you know they produce A LOT of waste...

From everything ive heard is that plecos commonly kill frogs so that might be something to worry about. However, adding plecos isnt going to solve your problem. How long do you leave your lights on daily?

Well my filter is designed for a 70litre tank so nearly double the filtration is that enough?

I don't have any plants in my 40l tank so I don't have strict lighting hours. But they are usually on 6 hours a day. Is this too long? I will also make sure the frog goes no where near the plecos just to be safe. I thought the plecos might do the trick. As in the tank they are in there is no algae and the lighting hours are longer and the light is stronger. Never seen them grading on algae but thought that might be why there is no algae.

BN pleco's aren't any threat to a frog, or anything else for that matter. You could just put 1 of them into the smaller tank.

Thank you everyone for all your replies. It really helps. :D

Back
Top Bottom