3 fish vanished..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tikimonqee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so a few days ago (sunday) I did a 20% water change, after the water change I always do a head count just in case someone jumped out. Everyone was there... the next morning (monday) I go do my usual turn light on wait a little then feed them all... I notice theres only 6 rasboras in sight out of 9 I look around still cant find the 3 missing fish.. yes everyone was healthy the day before..i check everywhere lift decorations, move plants... no fish no bodies... checked on floor .. nothing.. filter intake is covered as I am not risking loosing any more fry so nothing can get sucked up into filter...yes i have dogs and no they cant get behind the aquarium if they did jump out of the tank.. after a hr or so i decide to do a water check,, everything was good.. Amonia 0 / PH 7.2 / Nitrates 0.3. its been 3 days since they went missing and i have been testing water every day since just to make sure and readings are still all the same... this tank is a 55gallon with live and fake plants and a few hiding spots and air stone. I have 2 adolescent angel fish which I thought where still to young to cause any damage yet.. 10 neon tetras, 3 dalmatian mollies, 3 sword tales, 6 rasboras, 3 rummynose tetras (just added last night), 2 borneo suckers. everyone seems to get along with everyone during the day minus my one male dalmatian molly who likes to bully the others once in a while... could he be the cause of this or is it more likely my young angels? And are fish known to be good when lights are on and as soon as its night and everyones relaxed and sleeping then they become stalkers and maybe eat a fish or 3?

tiki

Ok so a few days ago (sunday) I did a 20% water change, after the water change I always do a head count just in case someone jumped out. Everyone was there... the next morning (monday) I go do my usual turn light on wait a little then feed them all... I notice theres only 6 rasboras in sight out of 9 I look around still cant find the 3 missing fish.. yes everyone was healthy the day before..i check everywhere lift decorations, move plants... no fish no bodies... checked on floor .. nothing.. filter intake is covered as I am not risking loosing any more fry so nothing can get sucked up into filter...yes i have dogs and no they cant get behind the aquarium if they did jump out of the tank.. after a hr or so i decide to do a water check,, everything was good.. Amonia 0 / PH 7.2 / Nitrates 0.3. its been 3 days since they went missing and i have been testing water every day since just to make sure and readings are still all the same... this tank is a 55gallon with live and fake plants and a few hiding spots and air stone. I have 2 adolescent angel fish which I thought where still to young to cause any damage yet.. 10 neon tetras, 3 dalmatian mollies, 3 sword tales, 6 rasboras, 3 rummynose tetras (just added last night), 2 borneo suckers. everyone seems to get along with everyone during the day minus my one male dalmatian molly who likes to bully the others once in a while... could he be the cause of this or is it more likely my young angels? And are fish known to be good when lights are on and as soon as its night and everyones relaxed and sleeping then they become stalkers and maybe eat a fish or 3?

tiki
All I can say on this situation is fish just don't disappear, something obviously happened. They either jumped out and was eaten by your dog or another fish in the tank ate them.

like I said if they jumped out there is no way the dogs could have got them. they are to big to even get near the area they would have been found. I am clueless on this all I could think of was one of the other got them, but 3 all at once in less than 12hrs just seems like to much in just a short time. I'm sure I will never figure out what happened but who knows.

How big were the fish? Were they juvenile size, if so maybe the mollies could have eaten them. Mollies have bigger mouths than you think

they where approx an inch. ya I'm think the male Molly is the culprit. probably up to no good at night. I noticed today the male Molly is trying to push around the little rummynose now so will keep an eye out. the rummy nose is hiding in a small cave and when he's out he's starting to hide in the middle of the other rummynose and neons

they where approx an inch. ya I'm think the male Molly is the culprit. probably up to no good at night. I noticed today the male Molly is trying to push around the little rummynose now so will keep an eye out. the rummy nose is hiding in a small cave and when he's out he's starting to hide in the middle of the other rummynose and neons

Do you have a female Molly? I know that my female black Molly is huge, about 5 inches and I've seen her swallow foods whole that I thought was impossible. Large wafers and sticks that were meant for my bottom feeders would disappear fast sometimes and I watched one day and saw why.

i have 2 female mollies and one male there all a couple inches long. the females are pretty layed back and chill with the sword tails all the time.

Back
Top Bottom