3 Gallon Eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thominil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

Back in September I got an Eclipse System Three tank that I was going to use a QT, but I never really did...... So, it sat in under my stand until about December when the filter cracked around where the uplift tube meets the impeller and motor housing, so when the water goes up the uplift tube most of the water is lost out that crack so the BIO-WHEEL doesn't move at all when the remaining water passes it. After that I never really got around to doing something with it. It is still under a waranty so I was wondering do I take it to Petsmart where I got it and have them deal with it, or do I call Marineland and have them replace it, or am I just stuck buying a new filter for it?

Also, when I get this problem fixed I was planning on adding some aragonite sand with a small piece od malaysian driftwood and some plants. I was also wondering if the 6w T5 bulb is low or med light?

For fish can I keep a small school of tetras (4-6) with possibly a cory or two?

Thanks, Thom

First of all, did it break during the warranty period and do you still have the receipt? I am not sure if Petsmart would replace/return an item sold that long ago without the original receipt. The Eclipse's are neat little tanks...if I were you, I would try calling Marineland directly and seeing if they would possibly replace the part and you pay shipping.
Now...for livestock I would suggest a shrimp tank, as it is pretty small for most fish. Maybe neon tetras would be okay. I wouldn't put a cory in such a small tank as they are schooling fish and prefer to be in groups of about 6 and the tank is just too small. You could get a lone betta, a dwarf african clawed frog. There are many possibilities...:) I am not sure about the bulb. If it is the bulb that came with the tank it is probably, at best, only good for low light plants. But java moss is low light and shrimp love java moss and bettas like to sleep in it.
Well, have fun with the tank and keep us updated!

You can't prove when it broke-- and since you're out of the return period unless Petsmart will honor the warranty, you're likely out of luck.

You could give them a call first and see what they say... if it's a 'manager's call' situation it may be a long wait if you get in the store to do it.

As for stocking it, I've got one with a single betta and it works well as long as you don't skimp on the water changes.

Well thanks to all who posted. I took it into Petsmart and they replaced the whole thing (tank, light, and filter). When I walked in and went to the checkout line I told the cashier the filter cracked, and he asked if I wanted to exchange it. I said fine and then I asked if it was ok even though I purchased it back in September and his jaw dropped. =)

Back
Top Bottom