3 month old tank not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karbonfyber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 20 gallon long aquarium I got early January, it has 5 neon tetras, I used TSS a few hours before I put the tetras in there. A week and a half later I noticed they had ich, I treated with super ick cure + salt, beginning of February, I put back in the carbon filter + changed the water out a few times to remove the salt + any meds left. 4 days ago I dumped another bottle of TSS in there, my ammonia level is still not going down without water changes, it is currently at .50 ppm (changing water now) it was at .25ppm the last few days and I have only been barely feeling them once eery 2 days the last week. Why isn't my tank cycling? I am using the API master freshwater test kit, I also tested my water after using Tetra Aquasafe, and it shows 0 ammonia so its not coming from the tap water.

I have changed the filter only after ich treatment not since then. Its about 5-6 weeks old now the filter. Zero nitrates zero nitrites, 6.8pH

I am having the same issue with a slow cycle. The only thing I can suggest is getting some media from a established tank either from a LFS or online. I just purchased an active piece of filter from Angels Plus and put it in my tank. I squeezed the media over my current sponges in my HOB filter and dumped the water from the bag it was shipped in on my filter media. I am already seeing some changes when I test after less than 24 hrs believe it not. Nothing to say I am in a complete cycle, just slight changes I have never seen before. Seems a lot of people have had success with Angels Plus. Just make sure to purchase an ACTIVE filter if you go that route.

This is weird, I just did another test tonight, .50 ppm ammonia, 0.0 nitrites, 5.0ppm nitrates? What can be causing this? I also have brown stuff growing on my aquarium decorations.

karbonfyber said:
This is weird, I just did another test tonight, .50 ppm ammonia, 0.0 nitrites, 5.0ppm nitrates? What can be causing this? I also have brown stuff growing on my aquarium decorations.

The brown stuff might be diatoms. It's kind of like algae, but different. :p Apparently, otos like to eat it. I ended up with diatoms too... Still have them because I still haven't added anything to eat it. Maybe others here have some good suggestions.

Heh, I meant what could be causing my ammonia not to go down, but my nitrites to be zero, and my nitrates to be 5.0ppm?? I've barely been feeding them the last 2 weeks, and in the last week I dropped down to once every 2 days. They barely get 2 tiny pellets of the hikari micro pellets each.

Consider getting an active filter- ill post a link for them. Diatoms are common in a newly cycling tank & are nothing to be concerned about. You can wipe of the glass & other smooth items. A soft bristle toothbrush works well for removing them from rough surfaces & plant leaves. They should burn themselves out as the tank becomes more established. If your getting constant readings of .50 ammonia, you will need to up you water changes to keep your ammonia in check. :)

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm

Last edited:
There are two kinds of bacteria that make up the nitrogen cycle, the first convert ammonia to nitrIte, the second converts nitrIte to nitrAte. It could be that the bottled bb only contained live bacteria of the second sort?
I also highly recommend getting a seeded bit of filter media, or even some gravel from an established tank (if its ugly or you just don't want it mixed in with your substrate put it in pantyhose:))

Just as an update if anyone is curious, I have received the Active filter and put it into my aquarium with a air tubing going into it to make some bubbles. I also took out my Aqueon quietflow 20 and put in a new Aquaclear 50. I will update again in 2 days with new (hopefully lower) levels from API testing kit.

Keep us update and check your water daily. My started cycling in less than 24 hours after adding the active media. Also, I squeezed the media and dumped the water from the bag over my current sponges in the HOB filter. The tank is cycled and it went quickly so keep an eye on you test results.

Well its been 24 hours, I did a 40% WC about 2-3 days ago. I tested prior to adding it yesterday, right under .50 PPM ammonia, 0 nitrites, under 5.0ppm but above 0ppm nitrates. I just tested again, still the same numbers. I dumped all the water they gave me into the aquarium, and I stuck the media into the tank with a air hose going into it.

Have some patience- it can sometimes take a week for the bacteria on the sponge to take full effect. They are living organisms & can experience an adjustment period to the new water parameters of your tank. Give them a bit of time to jump into full swing.

I just hope most of the bacteria survived the transit in freezing conditions, 3-4 days out of water with a little bit of water sloshing in the box.

I had the same problem in the beginning, my tank took 4 months to cycle because I had changed the carbon filter. I know you ha to treat for ich, but next time instead of removing the carbon filter altogether, just cut it open an dump the carbon out. Leave the filter in. You can add carbon back to it after your treatments are done. Changing filters prolongs the cycling process, and sometimes can start it all over again if it's early enough. Don't lose heart! If this seeded media doesn't work, see about rehoming your fish temporarily, and finishing the cycle fish less. I know it's hard to stare at an empty tank, but patience pays off in this hobby. I learned the hard way. I lost a lot of wonderful fish to ammonia and eventually nitrite. Your tank WILL cycle. Leave the filter be. You can try pouring some Special Blend or Instant Cycle onto your filters, sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. Depends on how well the bb are surviving in the bottle.

Anyway, best wishes to you. Feel free to message me anytime! I loved getting to talk to people who had experienced the same problem I was having. :)

Well just as an update it's been another 2 days, since my last update. The ammonia levels of the main tank is still right under .50ppm with no water changes (changing it now) so not sure if the ammonia not going up means somethings happening? I don't know whats wrong with this aquarium for it not to be cycling....I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank that I also bought one of the active filters for, a fully stocked (previously) uncycled quarantine tank only has somewhere between 0-.25ppm ammonia with no water changes done on it so the filters work... Just can't figure out what can be causing my main tank not to cycle? or cycle super slowly.

You just have a larger bio load than your current colony of beneficial bacteria can consume, they will multiply to equal the supply of food, just give it a bit of time :)

Back
Top Bottom