3 neons died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started off with 8 neons and 2 got sucked into the filter media (god knows how they got in there) and the 3rd one was found dead on the netting bag of filter tube. Why are they dying? Water parameters are fine and temperature is correct. The betta and cories are okay and my other neons seem to be healthy and eating fine.

I have a mixed tetra tank, including black neons, and all are doing very well, but I can't keep neons. No matter how carefully I choose them at the LFS they just don't do well. Maybe, as J1Time says, they have been over refined and have become weak fish.

I have a mixed tetra tank, including black neons, and all are doing very well, but I can't keep neons. No matter how carefully I choose them at the LFS they just don't do well. Maybe, as J1Time says, they have been over refined and have become weak fish.

I want to add another 5 tetra but maybe a hardier species this time. Could you please recommend me one? I have 18 gallon/70 litre, 1 betta, 4 cories and 5 neons (not sure if the remaining neons are gonna die or not)

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a quick look at you other posts , noticed that it isn't long since you finished your tanks cycle ,

After cycling you need to add fish slowly not full stocking the tank right away , I know neons are schooling fish so it makes it a bit awkward to slowly increase the numbers , but its possible that its to much to soon for your freshly cycled tank ,
I don't know what else you added that day or how many others fish are in there so just guessing .

Have you tested the water?
Did you put them in a quarantine tank ?

Depends on the breeding I guess. I've been really lucky with mine. They went through a fish in cycle in a small tank (before I knew the crack). Been a solid little fish for me so far.

I started off with 8 neons and 2 got sucked into the filter media (god knows how they got in there) and the 3rd one was found dead on the netting bag of filter tube. Why are they dying? Water parameters are fine and temperature is correct. The betta and cories are okay and my other neons seem to be healthy and eating fine.

I think you answered your own question why they died. If they keep getting sucked into the filter, cover the intake tube.

Lots of good advice so far, here's my input.

The hardiest fish die last. Could you have too many?
Neon tetra are known to need quite exacting water requirements full time, neutral to acid, soft and clean.
Corydoras will accept a much wider range of parameters. Bettas can survive in mud! (Jocular reference only)

Other tetras are more forgiving, from the ones I've kept the glowlight, Hemmigrammus Erythrozonus is the easiest. Then the black widow, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. And finally the most difficult (so far) black neon, Hypessobrycon herbertaxelrodi.

The first signs of something amiss, they go off colour fast.

I had a quick look at you other posts , noticed that it isn't long since you finished your tanks cycle ,

After cycling you need to add fish slowly not full stocking the tank right away , I know neons are schooling fish so it makes it a bit awkward to slowly increase the numbers , but its possible that its to much to soon for your freshly cycled tank ,
I don't know what else you added that day or how many others fish are in there so just guessing .

Have you tested the water?
Did you put them in a quarantine tank ?

People on here told me you can add the full stock all at once. My fish dont even produce 1ppm of ammonia and my filter can process 5ppm in less than 24 hours so I dont think that is the issue

The hardiest fish die last. Could you have too many?
Neon tetra are known to need quite exacting water requirements full time, neutral to acid, soft and clean.
Corydoras will accept a much wider range of parameters. Bettas can survive in mud! (Jocular reference only)

Other tetras are more forgiving, from the ones I've kept the glowlight, Hemmigrammus Erythrozonus is the easiest. Then the black widow, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. And finally the most difficult (so far) black neon, Hypessobrycon herbertaxelrodi.

The first signs of something amiss, they go off colour fast.

Could I mix 5 neons with say 5 black neons? Will it stress them out?

I think you answered your own question why they died. If they keep getting sucked into the filter, cover the intake tube.

It is covered hence why I said god only knows how they got in there

Depends on the breeding I guess. I've been really lucky with mine. They went through a fish in cycle in a small tank (before I knew the crack). Been a solid little fish for me so far.

I guess it all depends where you get them from? I will not be buying any fish from that LFS any more. Also I forgot to mention, the group of neons that I brought, one had no nail (it seems to be growing back now though) maybe I got a bad batch?

People on here told me you can add the full stock all at once. My fish dont even produce 1ppm of ammonia and my filter can process 5ppm in less than 24 hours so I dont think that is the issue
You're totally correct, so it wasn't this

It is covered hence why I said god only knows how they got in there

What's it covered with ? Is it possible its slowed the flow and its not processing as much water as you thought?

Assuming the tank is big enough, You can have mixed shoals no problem providing the water is ok. By my experience though one large shoal has way more impact than two or three lesser sized shoals. They (small tetra sp.) only live 4-6 years so you'll get another go! (Or another tank)

My first mixed communities had many species sometimes 7+ (Good learning)
Nowadays I tend to go with the main shoal plus workers 2-4 species. I think it has more oomph or wow or zing or kerpow etc.

Adding stock all at once?

If you fish less cycle yes it's possible.
Fish in, expect some casualties.
Slow is best with fish in.
(Depends on tank size but every 2-3 weeks i consider normal)
Hardy species only.

If you want anything special wait 6months. This will allow the tank to mature fully as well as the filter. (Makes a big difference)

Back
Top Bottom