3 unidentified plants... help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have three plants that i dont know what type/species they are! :(
they're still in their pots they came in, just under the gravel. can someone help me to identify them please. the first and last pic are of the same plant (the small one next to it is part of the plant,but it came loose, so i planted it separately) sorry about the poor quality pictures, my camera isn't too hot;)

much appreciated, Dan:D

Attachments

• fishtank 003.jpg
    fishtank 003.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 121
  • fishtank 004.jpg
    fishtank 004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 105
  • fishtank 005.jpg
    fishtank 005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 122
  • fishtank 006.jpg
    fishtank 006.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 90
Mr.Albiman said:
i have three plants that i dont know what type/species they are! :(
they're still in their pots they came in, just under the gravel. can someone help me to identify them please. the first and last pic are of the same plant (the small one next to it is part of the plant,but it came loose, so i planted it separately) sorry about the poor quality pictures, my camera isn't too hot;)

much appreciated, Dan:D

First and last pics are corkscrew Vals, sorry I can't help with the others. Go to plantgeek.net if no one else responds, that site has lots of info.

The darker green one looks like mondo grass (o. Japonica) to me... Non aquatic.

Mr.Albiman said:
Thankyou guys! What do you suggest I do with the mondo grass? Also, will corkscrew vals be ok with just 9W?
Thanks! :)

The mondo will slowly rot and foul your tank, so it's best to remove it IMO.

How big is your tank and what's the "K" rating on your bulb? The general rule is 1 watt per gallon (wpg) and IMO, a bulb rated at 6700K is best for plants but many will say that anything between 5000K and 10000K is what you want for plants to grow.

Mr.Albiman said:
The tank is only 3 gallons, and I'm not sure about the K rating. It doesn't say on the box or lamp.

I'll make an assumption that on a small tank like that, you have a screw in bulb. If not this info may not help.

At my local Petco, ZooMed has a 10w, 6700K CFL, that for $10 is a pretty good deal and would give you the lighting needed to support a number of low - med light plants IMO. You can go to plantgeek.net and you'll find a ton of plants to choose from. They also tell you what plants not to get in their non-aquatic section.

The other plant kind of looks like Ludwigia repens but it's hard to tell for sure. Another guess would be an Alternanthera species.

Mr.Albiman said:
No, its not a screw type, its a CFL with pins on the end.

It should have some info on it, strange to me that it doesn't. Google it and see what you can find out about it and what other bulbs are out there is my best suggestion.

But like I said, 1wpg minimum and 6700K is what I'd aim for.

The darker green one looks like mondo grass (o. Japonica) to me... Non aquatic.

This looks like stuff I have in my tanks. I believe I bought it under the name "kyoto"..or something like that. Is that the same thing?

Yes, I see now that it is. Thanks Mr. Limpet for the link, I see now that I also have this PlantGeek.net - Dracena sanderiana in several of my tanks. Sold to me as "white ribbon". I've wondered why I can't keep that darn grass stuff alive. Now this other one though, the white ribbon, it seems to do just fine..As long as it's still looking good any harm leaving it in? Petco owes me like 40 bucks for these plants :( Sorry to hijack this thread..I just didn't realize I had non aqautic plants in my tanks.

neither did i siva:'( its sad, cos it was really nice and i trusted the pet shop i got it from.

sorry though, i'm a complete noob when it comes to plants and have no experience with 'white ribbon'. sorry:/

thanks, dan:)

Yes it won't hurt to leave it in. At the first signs of rotting though pull it out. It could last a few months or more before that happens, but it is inevitable.

It is sad. I've been ripped off. I'm a noob to plants too..obviously :( I've now identified a 3rd type I'm keeping in my tanks that is non aquatic. I'm down at least 60 bucks in non aquatic plants from my local petco now. My very favorite plant too (peacock fern). I just buy a plant, stick it in my substrate, and hope it grows. That's as much as I know about plants!! Well at least now I know to look up the plant I want to buy first! On the plus side I'm thinking I can rehome all of them still alive, to the paludarium I'm setting up for my vampire crabs. From what I understand, they should do well out of the water but in a still moist environment..so sounds perfect. I recently ordered some plants from a website, so I'm glad I put my money there instead of locally because I ended up with real aquatic plants, but I need to find more selection. Can anyone reco any sites where I can get a good deal on plants? I gotta replace all these little rotting suckers :(

Back
Top Bottom