3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a Borneo sucker fish in 5gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys , i have 3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 1 Borneo sucker fish in a 5 gallon aquarium and i was wondering if that is alright ? and also do i need an air pump and do they need lots of hiding spots ? thanks a ton.

I don't have all that much experience, but it seems to me that what you want is too much for that small of a tank. The minnows alone would need at least a 10 gallon since they get up to 2 inches in length equaling 6 inches of fish for 5 gallons. I don't know about the sucker fish and I'd recommend the air pump.

A single betta and maybe a snail to help clean up (not mystery/apple snail since those can get pretty big). 2 or 3 tetras may be alright, but I would go with the betta. 2 or 3 plants along with a small decoration should make for a pretty decent setup.

Whatever you end up doing make sure to change some of the water at least once a week. For a 5 gallon I'd change half a gallon or so once it's cycled.

Do you know what cycling is? If not I'll be happy to explain.

Hi ok thanks im going to get a 30 gallon tank for them as its to crowded :) and no i don't know what cycling is ? if you have the time please explain but if not its alright.

Hi ok thanks im going to get a 30 gallon tank for them as its to crowded :) and no i don't know what cycling is ? if you have the time please explain but if not its alright.

In short cycling is the process of establishing beneficial bacteria in your tank that will break down nitrates/ammonia which are deadly to fish. You can cycle with fish in your tank or without. If you do it with fish it's best of you get cheap ones just in case they due during the process. I'm not sure are fishless cycling, but I'm currently having to do 30% - 40% water changes a day for my puffer tank to keep the ammonia down with the bacteria builds up. You can buy cultures of the bacteria at a pet store and it will help to speed up the process.

I'd recommend researching it. I'm on my phone so typing and describing this is hard and I know I'm leaving stuff out.

If you're getting a 30 gallon tank you can add a few more fish. My friend gave me the tip of one fish for every 5 gallons. By that rule you could get two more. Make sure you know how big the fish will get when adults. Plecos can get about two feet or over!

liveaquaria.com is a decent source to use when looking for that information.

I have 1 khuli loach 3 platies 4 neon tetras 1 guppy 1 bristle nose Pleco and 1 upside down catfish in my 5 gallon. I do .5 gallon water changes weekly so the water stays clear and I change floss pad every two weeks and have a air stone with a tetra 10 gallon filter and lots of plants and I've never had problems and its been about two months and no one has died :)

I have 1 khuli loach 3 platies 4 neon tetras 1 guppy 1 bristle nose Pleco and 1 upside down catfish in my 5 gallon. I do .5 gallon water changes weekly so the water stays clear and I change floss pad every two weeks and have a air stone with a tetra 10 gallon filter and lots of plants and I've never had problems and its been about two months and no one has died :)

Your fish will get too big eventually

Your fish will get too big eventually

Yea they will but the LFS knows me well and they give me store credit when I bring in my fish once they outgrow my tank. Normally my inhabitants only stay about 6 months. Excerpt for guppies and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom