30 gal community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimac41

Aquarium Advice Activist
As I stated in my introduction I used to have 3 set ups . Two community and one A. cichlids tanks . Due to limitations on space I had to tear down my two community tanks . For the last 2 years I had kept my cichlid tank running . The last cichlid died not long ago and I have since set it up to be a community tank (I'm am looking for something a little more peaceful and relaxing to watch) . Seeing how it is an established aquarium , it doesn't need to be cycled , just had to get my pH down because of the cichlids and redecorate.

Now to my question ,it has been a couple of years since I had community fish so I'm a little rusty .I have 6 Zebra danio , 5 serpae Tetra and 5 red-eyed tetra in a 30 gal. tank running a Marineland Penguin 350B . They are doing great thus far . I am wondering if I have the room for any thing else or am I capped out . I know the iffy one inch to one gallon rule (and that it applies to small fish , and not to the big guys and also that it is not a perfect "science") . I'm just wanting to see what others think , suggestions/ideas . I like Rosy Barbs and Neon Tetra and would love to add one or other to the mix , my wife wanted the red-eyes so I got them for her .

Welcome and that sounds about right. You could add a plecco and maybe some corys to round it out or cherry barbs since they dont get to large.

Ive got 5 black skirts, 4 white skirts, 5 danios, 3 gold barbs a cory and a plecco in my 38 gal.

IMO id stay away from the rosy barbs...bad experiance with them but ive got 7 neons in my 10 gal and i love em

Welcome and that sounds about right. You could add a plecco and maybe some corys to round it out or cherry barbs since they dont get to large.

Ive got 5 black skirts, 4 white skirts, 5 danios, 3 gold barbs a cory and a plecco in my 38 gal.

IMO id stay away from the rosy barbs...bad experiance with them but ive got 7 neons in my 10 gal and i love em

Sorry , I meant Cherry barbs in the first place and not the Rosy .So you think I could slide by with some Cherry Barbs ? I am more inclined to get an Oto when the time comes over a pleco since it stays small (around two inches or a little smaller) . The plecos get too large and it is a pain to re-home them when they out grow my tank .

I think youll be just fine with cherry barbs, they dont usually get too large and are really fun to watch, plus their bio load isnt too bad. A couple of otos would def. do the job cuz i hear you on the plecos.

Back
Top Bottom