30 gal tank loud clicking sound-not filter/fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackie.haller

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This 30 gallon is maybe 6 or 7 years old and seems to be good condition. there has been this very loud clicking sound coming from the tank for maybe a month or so now, just one very loud click a handful of times throughout the day. It scares my three spot gourami who I very much care for and seems to be very stressed and skittish. It is just too loud to be coming from the filter/pump or another fish(don't have any shrimp, and none of these fish spit rocks at the glass). No cracks or damages to the tank itself have been found so I am just very confused. I am afraid it is the tank or the stand the tank has been sitting on, afraid they will collapse any moment but they have been in use for 6 years so why would this happen now? any suggestions would be forever appreciated!

Yes, I have examined it front, back, top, bottom, inside and out. cannot find anything. I am wondering if the heat kicking on and off in my apartment might make something expand/contract? but I imagine there is not a fast enough temp change or significant enough temp change that could actually make the tank make any of that make that noise.

I agree with your theory regarding wood expansion and contraction. It would be a good idea to check the stand with a level.

Back
Top Bottom