30 Gallon community tank ides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_m33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently set up a 30 gallon hexagon fish tank that is supposed to be a community tank. I need help figuring out what type of fish to get. I am going for a tropical type full of drift wood and artificial plants. I am letting the tank cycle as of now nut I have no clue what to buy. my main questions are

Pleco or corys

what kinds of fish that are kind of large but have a friendly temperament and can be with small to medium fish.

and other types of fish that I can put in

In my opinion - Cory’s. They have way more personality than pleco’s in my opinion.

As for other tank mates it depends on what you’re going for

Corydoras need a lot of bottom space which hexagon tanks dont have. Pygmy corys should be fine or a bristlenose pleco would work.
Schooling fish also need a lot of sideways space. So you're either looking at a bunch of smaller fish that don't need as much room or non schooling fish like livebearers. I've never had a problem with female platys, mollies are bigger but can sometimes be jerks.
What are the exact measurements of your tank?

I second SaraB tbat Pygmy would be the Cory of choice. Having had several Hex tanks I know there is not truly enough bottom area for 4/6 Cories to swim comfortably and Pygmies seem to utilise a lot more of the middle area than regular Cories. I'm not a fan of doing single specimens of any but the most unsociable fish so I'd give Bristle Nose a pass too as at 4-6" they grow big enough to be an issue as a pair.

So what your saying is that I should either get 2 pygmy corys, or one bristlennose pleco?

Back
Top Bottom