30 gallon filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 30 gallon breeder tank with two filters. A fluvial c4 rated for a 70 gallon and a tetra whisper ex45 rated for a 45 gallon. I ran out of media for the ex45 and it stopped working a few times and I had to take it apart and put it back together to fix it. So I was wondering I f you think it would be a good idea to just run the fluvial c4 alone or maybe order another fluvial c4 because today I'm going to be ordering a whole bunch of fish stuff online. Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Running the Fluval C4 on it's own would be fine. I suggest you go online and look how to build a sponge filter which would be a very good supplement for your tank and if you ever get a black out, get a battery operated air pump and that sponge filter will keep your fish alive. Plus sponge filters almost never fail. :)

I'm going to assume you dont have goldfish or other highwaste fish (even if you do the c4 should be able to do the job) and say that the c4 will be more than enough.

Hope this helped, - Raymond

I checked on aqadvisor and you are good. Check out the image.

Generated Image

You should get some driftwood for the plec and 2 more kuhlis so they feel safe. :)

Also the nerite might get eaten by the red tailed shark.

So I have a 30 gallon breeder tank with two filters. A fluvial c4 rated for a 70 gallon and a tetra whisper ex45 rated for a 45 gallon. I ran out of media for the ex45 and it stopped working a few times and I had to take it apart and put it back together to fix it. So I was wondering I f you think it would be a good idea to just run the fluvial c4 alone or maybe order another fluvial c4 because today I'm going to be ordering a whole bunch of fish stuff online. Thanks in advance :)

Hello gro...

You don't need a lot of filtration. Just change out a lot of tank water and do it often. A 30 G tank will do fine with a filter that has a gph (gallon per hour) rating of roughly 120 as long as you are willing to change half the tank water every week.

Filter equipment is needed for surface movement so oxygen is mixed into the tank water. It's really just a backup to keep the tank water a tiny bit cleaner between water changes. It's the removing of the old water and replacing it with pure, treated tap water that's the real filtration.

B

I checked on aqadvisor and you are good. Check out the image.

Generated Image

You should get some driftwood for the plec and 2 more kuhlis so they feel safe. :)

Also the nerite might get eaten by the red tailed shark.

I do have driftwood in the tank for my pleco. I'm probably going to bring the loaches back to the pet store so the bottom isn't that crowded. Also the nerite snails all died I think the red tail ate them but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom