30-gallon -- fish compatibility check?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an empty 30 gallon tank. My tap water is hard (300+ ppm) and basic (ph=8.4+). Infantisimal light (18-watt NO bulb = 0.6 watts per gallon) so plants aren't a good option. I have black sand blasting sand.

I have some thoughts...

1. a pair of black angelfish and a school of corys or yoyo loaches. Will angels do ok in my water? Is a 30 gallon kind of small for the angels?

2. 6 tang. shell dwellers -- brevis-- and a school of 12+ tetras (glolite). I'd really like the shellies but they are expensive. :( Have to see what my LFS can do. Usually none in stock. Shipping is deadly.

3. Large group of schooling fish (25?) and a school of 6 corys. Maybe rasboras, glowlites, head and tail lites? I'd rather have neons but they aren't hearty enough. Barbs get too big.

Any thoughts, compatibility issues? I'd like it to be a fairly easy tank to maintain.

Thanks in advance.
coolchinchilla

i have angels in my 55gal, and my ph is 8.0 and they are fine, as well as my GlowLight tetras, the other fish I have no experience with, hth.

The angels would be fine in a 30 gallon tank, but I really like option 2. The shell dwellers would make for a interesting tank.

:jump: OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!

I WANT A CHINCILLA.. i saw them at the pet store.. so soft.. so cute... sigh, but i have 4 cats and a snake.. and i don't have $150 :( plus the money for the cage food. etc.

sry, anyway... Go with two angels and Cory catfish.. (like 10)

shell dwellers are like tang fish. (some) like lamprologus brevis, multifascious etc etc

AshleyNicole said:
I WANT A CHINCILLA.. i saw them at the pet store.. so soft.. so cute... sigh, but i have 4 cats and a snake.. and i don't have $150 :( plus the money for the cage food. etc. (like 10)

Chinnies are soooooooooooooo soft. You've never touched such a soft creature before in your life. :)

Rich311k:

Where can I find shellies? Do you know on-line stores that have 'em -- but then again, the shipping might put the investment out of my reach. But they sound soooooooo cool. 8)

I'm not sure if your LFSs are as expensive as mine, but when I was looking at African cichlids (and I still am as soon as I find a place for another tank :oops: ) I found that the cichlids were so expensive at the LFS that it wouldn't be much of a difference in price to order online. The shipping is expensive, but the prices of the actual fish are much cheaper so if you order enough of them it wouldn't be too bad.

I really like all of your ideas, though! :p

coolchinchilla said:
I have an empty 30 gallon tank. My tap water is hard (300+ ppm) and basic (ph=8.4+). Infantisimal light (18-watt NO bulb = 0.6 watts per gallon) so plants aren't a good option. I have black sand blasting sand.

I have some thoughts...

1. a pair of black angelfish and a school of corys or yoyo loaches. Will angels do ok in my water? Is a 30 gallon kind of small for the angels?

2. 6 tang. shell dwellers -- brevis-- and a school of 12+ tetras (glolite). I'd really like the shellies but they are expensive. :( Have to see what my LFS can do. Usually none in stock. Shipping is deadly.

3. Large group of schooling fish (25?) and a school of 6 corys. Maybe rasboras, glowlites, head and tail lites? I'd rather have neons but they aren't hearty enough. Barbs get too big.

Any thoughts, compatibility issues? I'd like it to be a fairly easy tank to maintain.

Thanks in advance.
coolchinchilla

i like option #1 !!!

Yo-Yo loaches are adorable, I'd say use them in some way. I dunno about angels in a 30, never kept angels or seen a full sized one.

Hrafnkel said:
Yo-Yo loaches are adorable, I'd say use them in some way. I dunno about angels in a 30, never kept angels or seen a full sized one.

Full size angels can get up to 6" not including finnage

I've heard, it's just that with the kind of fins they have, I can't picture in my mind how big of a fish that'd be. >.>

Back
Top Bottom